Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Postman was . . .

My father delivered mail for 27 years after retiring from the Air Force. High blood pressure kept him continuing his career as an air traffic controller as a civilian.
    He really enjoyed his walking route in the 70s and early 80s where the mailboxes were by the front door. He knew every adult, kid and dog — two of which bit him — once of the bottom of his butt. Oddly, both were poodles.
    He would come home at Christmas time with fresh baked goods, cheap after shave and regifted dress socks. As his young son I loved the homemade cookies and smelling like Old Spice and Brut 33 and was thoughtful enough to let him keep the socks. Those were the days.

Blog Entries
    Basically email for bills and Fedex or similar for private or rush items.
    My medications currently come vie USPS. Do you realize how much more Fedex charges for a similar package?

There is also another problem with phasing out the United States Postal Service. It is a Constitutionally prescribed service. It would likely take an amendment to the Constitution or similar act of Congress to "phase it out."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So that’s why they don’t care. Then I wish they would fix it. I have had terrible service in three different locations. Lost investment papers, lost probate papers and once they failed to deliver their own letter stating that I had to notify everyone of a new address instead of the Rt # I had. Mail completely stopped with no forwarding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    So that’s why they don’t care. Then I wish they would fix it. I have had terrible service in three different locations. Lost investment papers, lost probate papers and once they failed to deliver their own letter stating that I had to notify everyone of a new address instead of the Rt # I had. Mail completely stopped with no forwarding.
    Surely it is different for every Post Office. In my experience, calling them in the morning and remaining calm to discuss problems has done a lot to improve my service.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Our founding fathers felt the Postal Service was important enough to have it provided for and subsidized in our Constitution.

jtk
    There's a good reason for that, private carriers provide services where profitable.

Canada Post (my mail provider) is mandated to serve Canadians, not just Canadians where it's easy or profitable, I presume the same is true for the USPS.

When I order from the US, I always try to use the USPS as it's far less expensive than private carriers and provides great service.

These functions of the state are extremely important to provide equality among citizens.............Regards, Rod.

Wonderful story Erik, thanks for posting it.

We always leave a Christmas present for our mail carrier........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My medications currently come vie USPS. Do you realize how much more Fedex charges for a similar package?

There is also another problem with phasing out the United States Postal Service. It is a Constitutionally prescribed service. It would likely take an amendment to the Constitution or similar act of Congress to "phase it out."

jtk
    The other issue is that the postal service serves everyone, the private companies serve those that are in a profitable route. Postal Service provides equality among citizens.......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The other issue is that the postal service serves everyone, the private companies serve those that are in a profitable route. Postal Service provides equality among citizens.......Rod.
    Are there addresses outside of remote villages with no roads that UPS/Fedex/etc will not deliver to?

Where we live there are 35 post offices within a 10 mile radius according to the USPS site. Most are not within reasonable walking distance for more than a handful of people. Do they REALLY need that many post offices?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Where we live there are 35 post offices within a 10 mile radius according to the USPS site. Most are not within reasonable walking distance for more than a handful of people. Do they REALLY need that many post offices?
    Ever since I can remember, every time the USPS tries to consolidate and shut down unsustainable locations, local politicians step in to block the moves in Congress. In my area (major metropolitan area, not a small rural town), much of our postal business is conducted at an official postal counter at a supermarket by store employees. They have more convenient hours. There are post offices that don't even sell stamps anymore to reduce counter staff. UPS, FEDEX, and Amazon will often ship things to the nearest post office and have the USPS make the final delivery, even to our suburban home.

I would thank our regular postal carrier at the office, but he is away from his duties (for over a year) for sending and explosive through the mail. Go figure....

That said, we should express our appreciation more to carriers. For some people, the postal carrier is the only potential human interaction a person has.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Are there addresses outside of remote villages with no roads that UPS/Fedex/etc will not deliver to?

Yes there are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I would thank our regular postal carrier at the office, but he is away from his duties (for over a year) for sending and explosive through the mail. Go figure....

That said, we should express our appreciation more to carriers. For some people, the postal carrier is the only potential human interaction a person has.
    Did they get an employee discount on the postage?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Did they get an employee discount on the postage?
    A huge one. He is on PAID leave until his trial. Since the union governs his job, no other carrier can bid on the route until after the trial (in case he's found not guilty). That means we have different carriers almost every day of the week. The Covid situation is not helping with the speed of the trial.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Many years ago my job was as a shipping clerk. At the time there were large areas that were not served by Fedex due to being shut out of some airports by previous carrier contracts or other involved interests.

jtk