Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Postman was . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Ever since I can remember, every time the USPS tries to consolidate and shut down unsustainable locations, local politicians step in to block the moves in Congress. In my area (major metropolitan area, not a small rural town), much of our postal business is conducted at an official postal counter at a supermarket by store employees. They have more convenient hours. There are post offices that don't even sell stamps anymore to reduce counter staff. UPS, FEDEX, and Amazon will often ship things to the nearest post office and have the USPS make the final delivery, even to our suburban home.
    I don't quite understand why urban areas seem to have Post Offices every mile or two. Minneapolis had two Post Office buildings destroyed in the riots and they were a mile or two apart. It seems like a perfect opportunity to consolidate, but it appears both of them will be rebuilt.

I live in the suburbs and my Post Office (carrier annex actually) is a good ten miles away. The retail Post Office I am intended to use is about 15 miles away and I have never been there. I bet some of these small town Post Offices they want to close are closer another Post Office than I am to my Post Office. The main reason most small towns want to keep the Post Office is because it becomes sort of a social hall when so many have PO boxes.

Blog Entries
    I don't quite understand why urban areas seem to have Post Offices every mile or two.
    Are they in different Zip Codes?

During my days of working in San Francisco it became clear that some Post Offices became overrun at different times of day due to all the office buildings on different schedules. One Post Office would be jammed and one about three blocks away would have a very short wait. Of course give an hour either way and their lines would be just the opposite.

One of the local street luminaries would make good money by standing in long P.O. lines, holding a manila envelope and offering to sell his place in line when he was about the third person in line. If it was a busy time, he would then go back to the end of the line and start over. He always had a smile and dressed flashy but well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

One of the local street luminaries would make good money by standing in long P.O. lines, holding a manila envelope and offering to sell his place in line when he was about the third person in line. If it was a busy time, he would then go back to the end of the line and start over. He always had a smile and dressed flashy but well.

jtk
    "local street luminaries" What a great phrase!