Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey: Turning more during pandemic? Or less?

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Survey: Turning more during pandemic? Or less?

I was talking to a couple of the suppliers that are peripheral to the woodturning craft -- exotic wood dealers, retailers, tool manufacturers -- and most are saying that their business is down during the Great Pandemic of 2020. So, that begs the following question:

Are you turning MORE, LESS, OR ABOUT THE SAME?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Same, but I have to go to work just about every day and I only have a few hours of "free" time for turning each month. It might be that people just are not buying "new" things, either because they don't want to go out in public or don't want to spend the money.

far less. cant say why exactly. seems life is much busier during the shutdowns, even the liquor store has a max capacity, the clubs I belong to aren't meeting, etc.

More than last year -- some weeks several hours almost every day, other weeks several hours only a couple days. I've been on a roll -- several basic new ideas which have provided a lot of scope for exploration. Since I turn for my own satisfaction and not for sale, the absence of shows/sales has been irrelevant. I turn as much or as little as my degree of interest prompts. One major interest in turning is simply problem-solving -- coming up with an idea, figuring out how to execute the design, then developing further designs from the lessons learned.

That said, suppliers would say I've been completely *inactive* because I haven't bought any tools or equipment and few turning or finishing supplies since March. Wood -- I never have used or bought exotic wood, and rarely buy large blocks of domestic woods. Large pieces I get in log form (an advantage of living in KY) for free (listen for chainsaws), but I've made few bowls or hollow forms in the last several years. Those which I have done were preparation for the Folk School classes for which I have been the assistant, but both were cancelled this year. I have bought more than 100 BF of 4/4 white oak this year -- but as roughsawn planks direct from a sawmill so turning suppliers again would not be aware of my purchases. I have used almost all of it. Almost all of my turning in the last 6 months has been complex spindlework, making structures incorporating up to 30 separate spindles. In the last 6-7 months I've done close to 100 separate constructions. One of the few supplies I have bought this year is ammonia for fuming the white oak, but that came from the grocery store.

I have begun work on a couple Windsor chairs, but again no purchases involved a turning supplier. The white oak log for spindles etc and 8/4 poplar for the seat came from the sawmill, maple for the undercarriage came from a log from a friend.

I haven't turned one thing all year. The 2019 holiday show I do each year was the worst it's ever been over the last 15 years. About $2,000 off my best year. With that result I have 7 Rubbermaid tubs full of inventory, and no shows or events this year. So this year has been all about cycling so I can get the heck out of the house! It looks like 2021 will be all about selling my 45 year wood collection. Anyone need a box truck full of turning blanks?

I haven't turned anything since February. While I feel the pain of those who are out of work it's been totally opposite for me. I'm busier at work and when not at work I have far too much to do. The small amount of free time that I have had has gone to finding more tools to the shop. If I ever get free time I'm going to try to built some small jewelry boxes for Christmas presents (rectangle not turned) to put the money I invested into a jointer and planer to use. After that I'll try a couple segmented bowls so I can use the drum sander.

Very little turning since March but really nothing to do with the pandemic. Spring and summer are usually busy on the farm but this year it seems like things are busier then normal. I did process a bunch of green wood into turning blanks and turned two things (posted photos here.)

JKJ

Less but making just as many pieces. Some tools some flat work some wall hangers etc etc.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

The same, although my activity runs in short bursts. I turn a bunch of things one right after another, and then I find something else to do for awhile, then back to turning. I have not bought too many things in the last several months. I avoid stores, and have plenty of local wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    The same, although my activity runs in short bursts. I turn a bunch of things one right after another, and then I find something else to do for awhile, then back to turning. I have not bought too many things in the last several months. I avoid stores, and have plenty of local wood.
    +1...…………….
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I’ve been turning at about the same frequency - spend 3 - 4 days a week on average. Took a couple weeks off to do some flatwork I’d been putting off for a while. I source all my wood locally and made a major investment in tools before retiring three years ago so I’m not the typical customer - I buy sandpaper and finishes and thats about it - and even that is rare.

I only do one show any more, and that one was cancelled. I am spending time trying to get the new shop set up, mostly the flat work room and lumber storage. Been getting more done in the last week since all outdoor activity is out due to smoke, and my pool closed, again... It cleared up last night, and rain is supposed to come in tonight.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    I'm very similar, and rotate through my hobbies often. I find this helps me prevent getting burned out by doing one thing over and over, and really makes all my hobbies more sustainable for the long haul.

Specifically for turning, I've go through spurts during the pandemic. I've been able to do some pretty nice upgrades to my turning setup though, which has been fun in itself - I have a Laguna 12/16 lathe (I know, it is small... I'm stuck with it for now), and I've added the 10" extension for outboard turning, the 20" extension for longer spindle turning, the stand and mobility kit, as well as an additional chuck and tool rests.

I've also been buying a lot of tooling lately to replace cheap tooling that I bought when I first started turning, and I've also added some tools to increase the diversity of projects I can work on. I've been getting D-Way gouges, Negative rake scrapers, etc. I also got the easy wood tools #3 hollower so that I could work on some hollow forms. I still have more on my list to buy!

I was turning a lot more back in April/May while my job was bumped to half-time, but we have been busy the last couple months and I have returned to my norm (1-2 times/month).
    Tom

A lot less, have ran out of room to store turned items, all craft events canceled and no club meeting to show new items plus it’s too dang hot in my shop.😷😢