Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Tools

Blog Entries

Harbor Freight Tools

I get their flyer in the paper periodically and read it.
    I see a tool I like and think I will go buy one and then . . . ...

I remember, I already have one.

I suspect I am not the only one that does this.

Blog Entries
    I suspect I am not the only one that does this.
    No you are not.

We often do it when shopping and see a movie on DVD we like. Then we get home and realize we already have it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have bought a tool and get to looking for something not related and realize I already had one.

And I fail to see the problem here...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Reminds me of the Sherlock Holmes story about the scam selling memory loss pills for a two time payment. They kept coming for the payment every week and the buyer would forget he had already paid twice so this went on for years. They sent a pretty young thing to get all the second payments.
    Bil lD

I have many duplicates of tools because I know I have one and I can't find it. I end up buying another one and then weeks or months later coming across the original. I sometimes buy a tool slightly different than the lost one if possible so I have the same tool in different sizes or whatever.

I need to do a major cleaning this winter and get rid of stuff I haven't used in years and put all the tools in the same place.

Let's face it - i think there's something magnetic when walking into Harbor Freight (maybe not for everyone, but I'd venture the majority). Is it the smell (not likely), is it the variety (possibility), is it the prices (possibility), or other? Anyway, IMO, there's an urge to buy something, whether you have one or one close to it, or other. In terms of multiples, to me their phillips (grey) and straight blade (red) screw drivers with magnetic tips can't be beat. I have several of each. Same for electrical cord ends (male and female) - they're great. Same for the yellow divided storage boxes with hinged lids. They just came out with a large pack of rubber tie downs so I bought them (I did really need these and the bulk pack was great). I've been down the road on drill bits - have enough now, but they're so cheap, buy multiples and toss once dull ( for general work). They've been out of nitrile gloves on my last 2 trips, but an extra box is good to have. I could probably go further, but there's something magnetic about the store

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Let's face it - i think there's something magnetic when walking into Harbor Freight (maybe not for everyone, but I'd venture the majority). Is it the smell (not likely), is it the variety (possibility), is it the prices (possibility), or other? Anyway, IMO, there's an urge to buy something, whether you have one or one close to it, or other. In terms of multiples, to me their phillips (grey) and straight blade (red) screw drivers with magnetic tips can't be beat. I have several of each.
    For me it's the T-handle allen wrenches: call it OCD, but I like to keep tool-specific ones with the tools that use them and keep a full set in the rolling toolchest for car jobs. Since the tools typically use the same 2-3 sizes, I've got a bin full of extras in sizes I never use.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    For me it's the T-handle allen wrenches: call it OCD, but I like to keep tool-specific ones with the tools that use them and keep a full set in the rolling toolchest for car jobs. Since the tools typically use the same 2-3 sizes, I've got a bin full of extras in sizes I never use.
    Same here though not necessarily T-handles. There is a magnet on the storage door of my bandsaw with allen wrenches. The small drawers with tools that need allen wrenches also have the wrenches stowed with the tools. It is a lot more convenient than having to walk across the shop and trying to grab the right one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Same here though not necessarily T-handles. There is a magnet on the storage door of my bandsaw with allen wrenches. The small drawers with tools that need allen wrenches also have the wrenches stowed with the tools. It is a lot more convenient than having to walk across the shop and trying to grab the right one.
    The main thing for me is that I can label them by use and not by size: "Bandsaw guides" is a lot more descriptive than "4.5mm".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The main thing for me is that I can label them by use and not by size: "Bandsaw guides" is a lot more descriptive than "4.5mm".
    No labels for me, it is usually the big one or the little one is needed.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    No you are not.

We often do it when shopping and see a movie on DVD we like. Then we get home and realize we already have it.

jtk
    i guess I’m a nerd. I keep a list of the Disney animated movies I hav on my phone.

The good news for you is that if you buy multiple Harbor Freight tools you aren't making an investment like if you purchased Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    The good news for you is that if you buy multiple Harbor Freight tools you aren't making an investment like if you purchased Festool.

Living on a farm requires a little different mindset. There is a small tool box on the tractor. A set of tools for frequent adjustments and changes in the baler. I manage to brake shear bolts every few hours of baling. I have a set at the house/shop for plumbing repairs, electrical stuff and of course the wood working items. Down at the barn is a roller chest of sockets, wrenches etc for car/truck/implement repairs and maintenance. There is also a tool box in the truck. I even keep a small pouch of tools on the motorcycle. Mrs. and Daughter have a nasty habit of leaving tools wherever they last used them. I probably buy 6 pair of pliers a year. Multiple sets of screw drivers. Etc. Step son was over working on his car and I couldn't find my 10mm wrench after that. Yes I often buy duplicates and usually intend to do so. Just yesterday, I was replacing a shear bolt on the baler when I noticed the half inch wrench was a Penncrest. A J C Penny's life time warranty tool I bought in Coral Gables Florida in September 1975. The newer Harbor Freight wrenches are actually finished pretty well and have life time warranties. That inch and a quarter box wrench I use to change balls on the hitch, Harbor Freight.

I nearly bought some rod for fishing wires in walls at HF last week. 2 years ago, when I last did it I had a terrible time because the wire I used was too flexible and the right tool would be so handy. But the thing is... I will probably never have to fish a wire again; I've only done three in my life and can't see any future need. But still I really wanted to buy it. Maybe it is the same reason my wife has fleeces in 10 colors; well she says they are different colors, but I don't see it. She only wears a fleece a few times a year, but needs the right color when she does.