Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oscillating Multi-tools: What do you have? What's good? What's bad?

I've had a corded Bosch for years, works great, no issues at all... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Tailed Makita here. No complaints, and it's seen some Dirty abuse, but never falters.

I've got a Fein, but pre Starlock; so I can grab other blades at home depot or wherever in a pinch and am not limited to only Starlock blades. I have no big complaints, but there are times I would like a cordless instead and if it is for occasional use if you are already bought into a battery platform that might be a reasonable decider.

I have a corded Dremel. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used it, but I actually broke it out last night.
    I was cutting openings in cheap Sterilite plastic tubs to use as litter boxes for the cats. It was awful.

I got it as a gift. I'd consider other brands if purchasing myself.

I also have a Fein, I don't use it often but when I need it.. it's really worth having.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I had to replace a window sill and the 2 vertical pieces of brick mould were rotted. Went to Harbour Freight, wanted to
    oscillate ,...NOT vacillate, and they were able to facilitate . Now my mould ....is not moldy, but supported with beautiful mini mahogany plinth blocks. Unlike the rental
    places....HF gives you ALL of needed pieces ,so you don't waste gasoline. Might try the thing on my toe nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I’ve had the Fein for quite a long time. I call it the “tool I can’t afford to use” due to blade cost. I am buying HF blades for it now. It has been excellent and I have done some close exposed work with it that turned out well. When we rebuilt the house my GC had the HF. I used it regularly. When one craps out he spends short money on another. If my fine craps out, I’ll go HF or possible Milwaukee cordless.
    The Milwaukee cordless is unfortunately not much good. Won't stand up on the battery because its mounted on a slant for some reason, the switch us not user friendly and the blade change is awkward. Do yourself a favor and try the Dewalt.

I have a corded Fein 350 with the Starlock plus blades. Quick, tool less blade changes. I’ve used HF, Dremel, couple Rockwells, 18V Makita and my Fein is my favorite by a long shot. Only thing that would improve it is if it had no tail, but I didn’t really like the price of the cordless Fein. I’m a professional and have several 18V Makita tools and chose not to buy the 18V Makita after having used one for a few years that belonged to a coworker because it’s very heavy and long with a battery. The balance is way off.

One thing that took me a while to realize is that you really have to keep the blade moving back and forth or in some way to help encourage the dust to come out of the cut. The design of the blade and the way it moves does not lend itself to this so it will overheat blades so fast if you aren’t active about this. Another thing I’ve also found is to change around the orientation of the blade closer to 90 degrees to the handle for certain types of cuts where you need more control. For precision plunge cutting, using a guide block / “paring” block really helps and can make all the difference.

I wouldn’t be without a nice one, but only because I use it fairly often in carpentry work to make my living when working on job sites.

Imperial blades in large pack sizes are the blades to buy if you’re trying to be cost efficient.
    Still waters run deep.

I have the dewalt & m12 milwaukee, both great but I always go for the smaller m12, light & agile.

I noticed 2 members recommended imperial blades as an economical choice
    At $7-10 each they are 5x no name blades. Are they that much better? Do they last long enough to be worth the extra $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    The Milwaukee cordless is unfortunately not much good. Won't stand up on the battery because its mounted on a slant for some reason, the switch us not user friendly and the blade change is awkward. Do yourself a favor and try the Dewalt.
    Are you talking about the M12, M12 Fuel, or M18? The M12 and M18 don't look great but the M12 Fuel looks like it solves a lot of problems. It's not going to be as powerful as an 18/20V version but it might be OK for less frequent use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Are you talking about the M12, M12 Fuel, or M18? The M12 and M18 don't look great but the M12 Fuel looks like it solves a lot of problems. It's not going to be as powerful as an 18/20V version but it might be OK for less frequent use.
    The M18 is the one we have around that no one here likes.

This Dewalt is unanimously the best we've ever used, as per the 7 of us active carpenters in my biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I had to replace a window sill and the 2 vertical pieces of brick mould were rotted. Went to Harbour Freight, wanted to
    oscillate ,...NOT vacillate, and they were able to facilitate . Now my mould ....is not moldy, but supported with beautiful mini mahogany plinth blocks. Unlike the rental
    places....HF gives you ALL of needed pieces ,so you don't waste gasoline. Might try the thing on my toe nails.
    Oh man, I was really digging your post until the end there.
    2/10. Would not read again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have the Dremel MM20. it works fine for me. "Hand me the buzz saw". More useful for carpentry and drywall than woodworking.
    NOW you tell me...