Thread: Shortages of appliances and other stuff

Shortages of appliances and other stuff

The household type fridge in my RV was dead when I started it up this past weekend. Not economical, or even possible, to repair. I am finding that refrigerators are sold out all over. I finally found one local appliance dealer that has one in the size I need in the warehouse. I don't know if the shortage is from factory closures or folks having extra money, or a bit of both. A refrigerator is not something you usually want to wait weeks or months to get.

I like full size paper towels and am having a devil of a time finding them anywhere. It appears the manufacturers are making only the select-a-size style right now as those are the most popular sellers. Bounty claims they are still making full size paper towels, but the lack of any product on the shelves makes me question if they are really producing any. I can buy select-a-size type paper towels all day long in Bounty and other brands.

Welcome to the fall out of 'JIT' supply chains.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    The household type fridge in my RV was dead when I started it up this past weekend.
    Some refrigerators will run forever as long as they are not stopped for long periods of time. The motor can be subject to stiction. Sometimes a hard wrap to the compressor motor area can cause it to start up again.

Percussive maintenance is one of my favorites.

For some time finding any paper towels or toilet paper has been difficult.

My preference is for the 1/2 size towels. Not realizing they still made the full size sheet rolls, guess what SWMBO came home with last time she purchased paper towels. Yep, full size.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-16-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some refrigerators will run forever as long as they are not stopped for long periods of time. The motor can be subject to stiction. Sometimes a hard wrap to the compressor motor area can cause it to start up again.
    The compressor seems to be running. My friend who is a refrigeration tech said it appears to have lost the charge or the compressor is bad. The system is sealed so my friend couldn't check the charge. He did say that having it sit not running is bad for it. It isn't practical to leave it running due to getting really cold in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    ...I like full size paper towels and am having a devil of a time finding them anywhere. ...I can buy select-a-size type paper towels all day long in Bounty and other brands.
    I have the opposite problem. Maybe I could fill my truck with full size and you fill yours with half size and we'll meet in Dubuque.

No, never mind. It's not worth that much effort. I can get by with the full size.

Although, I've never been to Dubuque....
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

The blue shop towels are always full size btw
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    The blue shop towels are always full size btw
    That is why God gave us scissors.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)