Thread: Delta/Invicta RS 15 shaper question...

Delta/Invicta RS 15 shaper question...

I have posted about these machines before. This time is different though,because I just bought one. My question is about bearings in the quill. There is a grease zerk on the top bearing with instructions on how often and what type of grease to use to lubricate.My question is : How much grease do you put in there ?

I dont have a rs15, but one of my shapers came with a grease zerk. When I rebuilt the spindle I decided to eliminate it. The consensus was it was a flawed design as over greasing a bearing was worse than leaving it alone.

If it's at all practical, I would consider cleaning it out and regreasing manually, properly and following a run in protocol. Then you really ought to be good for a long time, depending on how much you use it. Any annual grease addition is a very small amount, far less than a full depression of most grease guns that's for sure though small volume grease guns exist.

Thanks for the replies. Jared what you said about ever greasing a bearing is worse than leaving it alone is what i have heard as well,hence my post.How do you determine when to rebuild the spindle/replace bearings ? When I bought this machine I test ran it,very smooth and no noise on rundown after it was shut off. The spindle has .001 runout at the top (6 inch capacity) . Everywhere else that I positioned my indicator on the spindle showed no runout at all . As this machine is obviously used and I am the third owner that I know of I have no idea if/when the bearings have ever been touched. The only other things I need to do are take apart and clean/lubricate the fence and buy a set of replacement collars.

Brent to do what you are suggesting would be a take out the spindle and rebuild situation ,right ? The information plate on the fence that explains what type and how often of grease to use but fails to say how much,says that the top bearing is a special "high speed bearing".