Thread: Ward (Ward & Payne) pigstickers - how old are they?

Ward (Ward & Payne) pigstickers - how old are they?

I am the lucky guy who bought the 6 Ward & Payne (or Ward) mortise chisels (aka pigstickers) that Mike Henderson recently posted in the Classifieds. He didn't know the age for sure but believes they were made in the 19th century (eg, 1800's). Here's a link he provided which has some background on the early history of the company which was started in 1803 by David Ward in Sheffield England. I'm hoping some of you Neanderthals may have some ideas on dating these chisels. Anyone have more info as to when these may have been made or any other details on the company? Here's the link Mike provided Ward history.

Here are some of the pics from Mike's ad as well to maybe jog some memories.

Thanks!
    Mike

Ward-pigstickers #1.jpgWard-pigstickers #2.jpgWard-pigstickers #3.jpgWard-pigstickers #4.jpgWard-pigstickers #5.jpg

The ward link didn't work for me.

Try this link.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike. The link worked when I tried it in the preview. Hmmm.

In searching last night for more info on Ward & Payne I came across a site for The Hawley Collection in England. IIRC, it was collected by an old gentleman and is quite huge. Anyway, they did not have catalogues online but I did find a few words about Ward & Payne. There was a contact email address so I thought what the heck. Sent a query about possibly dating the tools. Already got a response from a volunteer curator asking me to provide pics so that he could check the catalogues. Maybe there's still hope! I'll keep folks posted if there is any interest.

Mike

Thanx Mike your link worked.