Thread: California Mineral Spirits (CARB) for Cleaning Dust Before Finish

California Mineral Spirits (CARB) for Cleaning Dust Before Finish

Hey all,

Finally ran out of my old gallon of odorless mineral spirits and these days here in SoCal you can't find regular odorless mineral spirits. I see CARB Compliant Mineral Spirits, 'Green' Mineral Spirits or Mineral Spirits Alternative. Has anyone used these and seen bad effects on finish after using them to do a quick and final cleaning? Should I look for alternatives here in Socal?

The mineral spirits sold here in the Bay Area is bad stuff. It does not evaporate completely. A puddle of it will evaporate about half way, and stop. The residue is kinda oily.

I often use denatured alcohol to wipe away the dust and fingerprints, even on a shellac finish (a quick wipe removes hardly anything).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I often use denatured alcohol to wipe away the dust and fingerprints, even on a shellac finish (a quick wipe removes hardly anything).

Yeah, we can't get DNA either

I have not seen any effect from using "California Approved" mineral spirits from Klean Strip with oil based finishes.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-15-2020 at 4:18 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I prefer a damp rag or a tack cloth. I only use solvents when something actually needs dissolving.

I initially used tack cloths until I had a bad finish experience that I believe was caused by the tack cloth. Whether or not it was the cause can certainly be topic for debate but I stopped using them and switched to naphtha for final dust cleaning. It dries fast. I’ve not had an issue since switching. Probably Naphtha is not available in California.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yeah, we can't get DNA either

I have not seen any effect from using "California Approved" mineral spirits from Klean Strip with oil based finishes.
    Some one is telling lies.
    My wife just got back (Sunday) from a month long hike on the John Muir Trail, she started near Mt. Whitney and finished @ Yosemite.
    She bought DNA for her camp stove in a couple of places along the way. They sold it by the ounce.
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

The green DNA has something in it. It burns nicely in my supercat stove, but doesn't dissolve shellac as well. It's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Some one is telling lies.
    My wife just got back (Sunday) from a month long hike on the John Muir Trail, she started near Mt. Whitney and finished @ Yosemite.
    She bought DNA for her camp stove in a couple of places along the way. They sold it by the ounce.
    Lies is a pretty strong accusation. Maybe you should check with the person that told you the John Muir Trail is in the Southern California Air Control District.

Naptha is actually a better choice than mineral spirits...less residue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’ve been able to buy DNA at camping stores and marine supply stores. It’s sold as alcohol stove fuel, but it is the same stuff. I’m not in the SCAQMD, but my local hardware stores don’t carry DNA as solvent any more.

i wouldn’t keep using DNA in a commercial shop in California, but people just using small amounts as a hobby are unlikely to get in trouble.

I am in California and I have switched to walmart brand camping fuel, AKA Coleman fuel. It is almost pure naptha. $8.00 a gallon, not much smell. Works well with tractor supply paint. If spraying use twice the thinner amount recommended for California painters. This will be the amount they used to recommend before CARB.
    Bill D

Thanks all ill look into the camping fuel, if not it might be a drive to Nevada soon and pick up a gallon or two for the next few years.