Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forgot the cap screw slot

I'm glad to be making this one from scrap as the mistakes are piling up. I bored the hole too low and I'll have to make new longer wedge which I wanted to do anyway. The drawing I followed didn't give a dimension for the pins location so I decided it would be best down low near the action.

The blade and cap I'm using are from an #4 Dunlop and the cap screw protrudes through the back a little. I can't decide if I should grind it flat or make a groove in the wedge.

I went to make the pin on my lathe which I just got back from my SIL and I couldn't find the spur drive. Amazon says I'll have it tomorrow. I guess I could stop at the big box and get a 1/2" dowel but what's the fun in that.

When all is said and done, I don't think this plane is going to give me any feelings of pride so I'm just considering it a prototype and learning experience. I have learned a lot from this simple project and my next one should go together in a couple of evenings or mornings before work or honey do's get in the way.

20200917_080718.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    The blade and cap I'm using are from an #4 Dunlop and the cap screw protrudes through the back a little. I can't decide if I should grind it flat or make a groove in the wedge.

A screw sticking up is pretty common -- many blades have a screw that sticks up a little bit. I suggest just cutting a bit of relief area on the back of the wedge.

Here's the back of a wedge for a plane that I'm currently building.

wedge-relief (1).jpg