Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Drying Walnut

John, good comments, thanks.

The relative humidity on top of the stack is 67%, and sometimes over 70%. I put a dehumidifier next to the stack and it is displaying 75%. Based on your comments and from reading more, the dehumidifier is off for now.

That level of humidity seems excessive for the tools, so tenting off the wet wood may be a better humidity control method.

I cut a piece for oven drying, but have to get an accurate scale first.

The tree stump was oozing water, so your estimate of 90% MC seems right.

Here is a pic of the wood stacked and stickered in the shop:

Black Walnut Pile Dec 2020.jpg

We may try and reorganize the stack, with the very best pieces at the bottom.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Falsetti View Post
    John, good comments, thanks.

The relative humidity on top of the stack is 67%, and sometimes over 70%. I put a dehumidifier next to the stack and it is displaying 75%. Based on your comments and from reading more, the dehumidifier is off for now.

That level of humidity seems excessive for the tools, so tenting off the wet wood may be a better humidity control method.

I cut a piece for oven drying, but have to get an accurate scale first.

The tree stump was oozing water, so your estimate of 90% MC seems right.

Here is a pic of the wood stacked and stickered in the shop:

Black Walnut Pile Dec 2020.jpg

We may try and reorganize the stack, with the very best pieces at the bottom.

Jim

You've hit on the conundrum of drying green wood indoors. If the RH is correct for the initial stages for drying the wood it's too high for the building and contents. And vice versa. Tenting with a fan, dehumidifier, and heater is the best option to make sure both are happy. You can buy low cost digital heater controllers and use one to control the temperature from an oil filled radiator.

John

John - I tented off the wood in the shop a few days ago, and added a heater inside the tent, currently set to 80 degF. Have not yet measured RH in the tent, but it is high enough to be condensing water on the inside of the plastic.

Checked this morning and the RH in the shop was 70% - the tent must be leaking a little. Opened up the windows and doors, turned on a fan, the air cleaner, and the dehumidifier,. About two hours later RH was 45%. Shut it all in. Went away for two hours and RH was back up to over 60%. Repeated the dry out process until shop was ~40% RH again.

Based on the experience so far, looking again for a level and secure outside location.

Best,
    Jim

Time to add a dehumidifier inside the tent. You may still get some condensation inside the plastic during the initial drying stages, depending upon what the temp. inside your shop is, but at least you aren't drying the wood too quickly.

John