I read Scott's Sticky, but have a few questions and somewhat specific to Walnut. My source for KD walnut dried up during Covid and is no longer transporting or selling dried lumber. He was probably a few years away from retirement and the pandemic hastened his departure. This has me now considering two smaller mills that are 40-50 miles away and buying green walnut to air dry. Looks like 3,000-4,000 bdft of ungraded walnut is in the $1.90-2 a bdft range. I spoke at length with the one sawyer and he said most of the walnut logs he buys and saws produce select and better boards with some 1com and some FAS mixed in. It sucks because im used to buying KD walnut for $3-4 a bdft for select and better, but those days are done. Here are my questions:

Do i have to worry too much about bugs and walnut heartwood? Ive noticed PPB in walnut sapwood before, but i dont know that ive ever seen heartwood affected by the bugs. Ive been under the impression the heartwood is poisonous to most insects? This may be my own myth, which is why i want to ask.

On drying rates, does lumber dry much during the winter, or not at all? Scott's sticky dispels the 1"=1 year myth, but does anyone have experience air drying 4/4, 5/4, and 8/4 walnut in the northeast? Im not necessarily in a rush to dry this wood as fast as possible, but it will be convenient if its down to 15% MC come next spring/summer so i can move it inside my shop and get it out of the elements. It also factors into the decision to do this in the first place. If the 4/4-5/4 can be used next summer and the 8/4 shortly thereafter then its worth the time and effort. If i will be waiting 3 years for the 8/4 to mature, then this probably isnt for me.

Generally is this a worthwhile experience, or do a few of you have horror stories? I like the price and ive noticed air dried material has slightly better color and workability, but those characteristics go out the window if bugs are unavoidable and my wife has to look at a stack of lumber in our driveway for 3 years.