Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After market TS fence

After market TS fence

Hey all,
    Have a delta 34-444 contractor TS. I just cannot trust the fence. I'm just looking for some suggestions. I specifically want a T-Square style. Have found one that I am considering but thought I would check here first.

Here is the fence I am looking at: https://www.busybeetools.com/product...ml#tab-related

I came here to search for this cause I'm sure the thread exists, but the search function on this site keeps taking me away from the forum to google searches.

Consider the Very Super Cool fence. Here's a link: https://vsctools.com/shop/product-ca...ble-saw-fence/. I'm not sure what style rails are on your Delta, but they have instructions for building the rails, if needed. Even if you're not a "metal guy", they are easy to do. I've had mine for two years and am very happy with it. It has good adjustment for both square to the blade and perpendicular to the table. The intial alignment was easy and it has stayed that way ever since.

I looked, but didnt find anything in the SMC archives on Busy Bee Tools. Maybe someone else will.
    FWIW, I have the same saw you do and it has a Biesemeyer fence. I'm very happy with it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My prior table saw was a Jet contractor saw. I used an Incra fence, and it was very nice. Repeatable precision every time. It's all in the design. It took me a while to get it set up properly, but that's probably more me than the fence. Once set up properly, it was a beautiful thing! I've now got a Sawstop PCS, and I'm considering adding an Incra fence to it. Best wishes, and stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Korbin Purchase View Post
    I came here to search for this cause I'm sure the thread exists, but the search function on this site keeps taking me away from the forum to google searches.
    I use the "site" parameter to restrict google searches to sawmill creek. Try searching with this string

site sawmillcreek.org aftermarket fence table saw
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Korbin, what fence do you have ?

What is that you can't trust about it ? is it bent, out of square, not parallel, won't lock securely ?

The orig. fence would have been a Jet Lock. While they aren't darlings, and have been replaced by better designs with more and more elegant features; they are far from obsolete. All of the issues I mentioned can be solved except a bent fence. I'd spend some time cleaning and adjusting before I dropped $300-$500 on a new fence for a saw that old. It's a solid saw with a really good motor, but it has some shortcomings that , for me, don't warrant investing a lot of money in.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I looked, but didnt find anything in the SMC archives on Busy Bee Tools. Maybe someone else will.
    FWIW, I have the same saw you do and it has a Biesemeyer fence. I'm very happy with it.
    Busy Bee is Canadian.

I have long been a fan of that fence. But, I have tried contacting them several times to place an order and they just don't get back to me. *shrugs

It is the Jet Lock Fence. I don't like that the fence clamps front and back. I find that I can never trust it to be square when I clamp it down. I have followed the steps from the owners manual to square it to the miter slot. Then I'll move it away from the miter slot and back and clamp it down to see if it stayed square and it doesn't. I really like the design of the T-Square Bies style fence systems. I want to be able to set my fence and lock it down and not be concerned I'm not cutting straight to the blade you know. The Bies systems are like $700 (Canadian. where I am from).

The verysupercooltools fence is nice. But they really don't seem to want my business haha as they won't return my calls or emails.

The incra looks pretty cool to be honest. Thanks I'll look into it.

Busy Bee equipment comes from the same factory in Taiwan as North State and many others. I have the older version of that fence for sale.

I have used this fence for about 8 years and I'm happy with it. Mine is the T2 rather than T3 but not sure the difference. https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Equipme.../dp/B079TTTWR2

Not sure which Busy Bee fence you're looking at but a very experienced woodworker on a Canadian forum checked them out at the request of a member- he found the CX fence lightweight compared to the Classic Biesmeyer or General but otherwise fine (slid smoothly & locked square). The Align A Rip was heavier. Another member reported buying an Align A Rip, & liked it enough to buy a second for his other saw.
    Just a Duffer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Busy Bee is Canadian.
    Yup. I know. Thanks Matt!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Not sure of the current exchange rate but . . . ouch! There seem to be a fairly regular supply of used (or even owned but never used) fences and rails in the lower 48 states. Are you anywhere near the border? Don't trust my math but, $500 CDN looks like about $380 USD so those prices are maybe about right.

The Jet Lock can be made to be sort of usable by some small segment of humanity. I know this because I read claims to that effect when disparaging remarks regarding this fence are cast about in the forums. For the rest of us it is a sub-optimal device from its inception and replacement can lower blood pressure, relieve headaches and align the planets. Fortunately many after market fences and rails systems are easily adapted to the Delta. I went with an align-a-rip back when I had a similar Delta conractor saw.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-15-2020 at 7:44 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler