Thread: Looking for some really odd hardware not related to woodworking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for some really odd hardware not related to woodworking

Looking for ideas where I might find something like this. 3/16" I think a #10, 4-3/4" length, can be hex head bolt(think they start at 1/4" though), machine screw, but need it to be black, oil rubbed bronze or black oxide finish in smaller quantities, not boxes of 100. Any idea where I might look? Thanks for any help.
    Brian
    Brian

Did you try Google? There's a ton of large and small hardware suppliers online that you can search through. If you can't find it online, then it probably doesn't exist lol. Otherwise you can have a machine shop make it for you for an exorbitant price

You could also blue steel bolts.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

McMaster-Carr has a few choices in #10 x 5", but in either stainless or zinc. https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/roun...0-24/length~5/ Also, they are boxes of 5 to 50 depending on what you choose. Shipping will be invoiced after the sale, but on that kind of order it would be minimal probably. I've had some fair success with black stove paint for screw heads (very careful on assembly), but bluing sounds better to me.
    earl

You might look around Blacksmith Bolt & Rivet Supply. http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/

Find a lot of fasteners at boltdepot.com

We keep tool black in the shop. Anything we need in black just magically becomes black.

I have used a sharpie marker to touch up small scratches on Volvo instrument panels. I bet a sharpie would be okay on a plain steel bolt. Doubt it would work on plated stock. Parkerized would also be a good choice. I think you can do that at home. Same process as seasoning a cooking pan. Done right a phosphate finish would look good
    Search about gun blueing
    Bill D.

That sounds like there may be motor draw bolts that would work. Something in a small fractional horsepower motor. A router one would probably be too long. The threads are often rolled so the main body will be undersized if that matters.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Brian,
    You didn’t say what look you are going for. What’s the application?

I have disguised bolts bought at the big box store before to make the heads look less ‘big boxey’.
    — remove the zinc coating to get to bare metal by tossing the bolts in Mountain Dew or Diet Pepsi. The phosphoric acid will take off that thin zinc coating overnight.
    — I have a small metal lathe so I turn off that three letter code and maybe reshape the head a bit. I’ve flattened the tops of carriage bolts this way.
    — use a propane torch to make the bolt the color I like using temper colors.
    — dip the heads in a nice oil based floor varnish to preserve the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Brian,
    You didn’t say what look you are going for. What’s the application?

I have disguised bolts bought at the big box store before to make the heads look less ‘big boxey’.
    — remove the zinc coating to get to bare metal by tossing the bolts in Mountain Dew or Diet Pepsi. The phosphoric acid will take off that thin zinc coating overnight.
    — I have a small metal lathe so I turn off that three letter code and maybe reshape the head a bit. I’ve flattened the tops of carriage bolts this way.
    — use a propane torch to make the bolt the color I like using temper colors.
    — dip the heads in a nice oil based floor varnish to preserve the finish.

Trying to use these on a screen porch frame and want to avoid any maintenanace. How would they do it I did not put the finish on them, rust over time? thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    You might look around Blacksmith Bolt & Rivet Supply. http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/
    Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    McMaster-Carr has a few choices in #10 x 5", but in either stainless or zinc. https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/roun...0-24/length~5/ Also, they are boxes of 5 to 50 depending on what you choose. Shipping will be invoiced after the sale, but on that kind of order it would be minimal probably. I've had some fair success with black stove paint for screw heads (very careful on assembly), but bluing sounds better to me.
    earl

it's for an outdoor screen porch and I was hoping to avoid anything I had to maintain. thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Did you try Google? There's a ton of large and small hardware suppliers online that you can search through. If you can't find it online, then it probably doesn't exist lol. Otherwise you can have a machine shop make it for you for an exorbitant price
    Yes, but this is really odd hardware. Hoping to narrow the search based on someone's experience. Brian
    Brian