Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw vise wood or metal

Saw vise wood or metal

I just came across a metal vise for $35. Before I buy that I wonder what your opinions of home made ones are. My preference is to build my own tools when possible but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

For my money, it depends. Yea, I know.. lame answer.

I've had a cast iron Disston that I was given. Unfortunately, the thing was worn too much to clamp a saw properly so it was a waste. I made a wooden one, that worked much better until I clamped too hard and broke it. Now I have a steel one from gramercy, which really is my favorite to date... but...

So, if it's in good condition I'd take the metal one
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I just came across a metal vise for $35. Before I buy that I wonder what your opinions of home made ones are. My preference is to build my own tools when possible but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
    I am mostly posting to subscribe to see any responses.

I planned on building one from wood and I had at least one metal vise that I gave to a friend. I ended up purchasing the Gramacy Saw vise because I liked how easy it would be for me to clamp and release a saw as well as to mount it on something that was easy to then mount to my bench.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-SAWV

A bit pricey but I like how it works. One woodworker said that his would vibrate near the middle because it was not clamping down well enough. I have not seen this on mine and have only seen one person complain.

I have the Gramercy vise. I have to confess I’ve not sharpened a saw on it. I can tell you that the jaws are like a spring joint that come together at the tips first then over the full length as the vise is tightened. The result is more uniform pressure along the full length of the jaws. It would be hard to get the same full length tension with jaws that are thin enough to be out of the way when filing if you made it out of wood.

Blog Entries
    My first saw vise was made from wood. My next few were old metal saw vises of various degrees of worn out.

Now my saw vise is a Gramercy saw vise. The vise is appreciated more than the money spent on it.

I just came across a metal vise for $35.
    If it isn't in great condition, it may be $35 wasted on a pile of rust.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Now my saw vise is a Gramercy saw vise. The vise is appreciated more than the money spent on it.
    The very first thing I did with the Gramercy was retooth a saw. By the time I was done forming the teeth, let alone getting to sharpening, every cent I spent on that vise was forgotten.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

If you decide to make your own from wood, my favorite was done in an article on the Lee Valley web site. I would provide a link, but, it seems to no longer exist. I heard a rumor that it was archived someplace on wood central, but I won't bother looking for it right now. If you really want to see the article, send me a PM with an email address where I can send you an ODT file; I can turn it into a PDF if you want as well.

The norsewoodsmith has an article about Jaspers wooden saw vise, which I had planned on building before I decided that I preferred the one in the Lee Valley article. Yes, I have that as a PDF.

My least favorite (that I was thinking about building) was from an article by Robert W. Lang called "Shop-made Saw Vise" from Popular Woodworking Magazine June 2010, and they had the PDF on their web site (and yes, I downloaded that at the time).

If I was to think about the Norse saw vise, I would google

Shop Built Saw Vise By Dominic Greco

He has an article with one that he build in 2009.

Well there's no way I'm spending that kind of money. I'll give the $35 dollar one a try before I buy. If it isn't up to par then I'll build my own. I only have 4 saws that need sharpening and I'll probably get a couple years out of each sharpening at my rate of work.

Thanx for your input, it really helped to know that most of the antiques are crap.

I copied mine from the ones that Lie-Nielsen uses when filing their saws, It is 3/4" baltic birch and has a leather hinge along the bottom of the clamshell. It is very good for lessening the screech from a dull file. I only have to reclamp the full length saws once per side. The advantage I have is that I have a 24" twin-screw vise to hold the saw vice.

I tried several vintage vises including the Disston D-4, but the saw vice in my twinscrew was much more secure and I can sit while I file, with the teeth about at chest height.

The weakness with vintage vises are the poor design they have for mounting to a bench. Never tried the Grammercy, but on my bench, the mounting would have been awkward.

I purchased this kit from Texas Heritage Woodworks and built my own. Very pleased with the results.

https://www.txheritage.net/sawvise

IMG_0895.jpg

I have a Wentworth No. 1.....am quite happy with it, the few times I've needed to use it (Rip saws, mainly)

There is a tip from long ago, though. You can add a length of rubber air hose to the jaws. Not only cushions the grip, but also improves it. It will also cancel out any vibrations...

Either 1/4" ID or 3/8" ID rubber hose, make a slit along it's length, a slide onto the jaws of the metal saw vise..do both jaws.

Seem to recall the old saw vises had a rubber strip on their jaws, either have been worn away, or just tossed...

12. I prefer my home made version (wooden sticks in a metal vise) because I don’t sharpen or file metal at my woodworking bench. I don’t like how metal dust rusts and blackens everything it touches. I wouldn’t know where to attach a metal vise such as the gramercy mentioned here in my shop.

I built mine after looking at many photos. Most of it is made of black walnut & white oak scraps. It was sorta build as you go trial & error, it works that was the result I wanted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attachment need not be permanent, it's really easy to make a fixture you can clamp to a work surface that holds the vise. My vise hangs from a beam most of the time, takes seconds to put on the bench.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Attachment need not be permanent, it's really easy to make a fixture you can clamp to a work surface that holds the vise. My vise hangs from a beam most of the time, takes seconds to put on the bench.

Same here except it is on the shelf under the bench. I'll just add to what many others have posted: In a week or two you will never miss the money spent on the TFWW saw vise, most of the other options will be a PITA for as long as you use them and then you are likely to spend the money for the TFWW vise anyway.

ken