Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw vise wood or metal

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    The weakness with vintage vises are the poor design they have for mounting to a bench. Never tried the Grammercy, but on my bench, the mounting would have been awkward.
    First, we look at my vice. The vice has certain issues, you can see the center "screw" bar and the two alignment bars on the side.

gram_saw_vice_photo_02.jpg

I attached my saw vise to a piece of oak but in such a way that the base sits on the three bars and the sides go around it. I could have done it slightly differently, but here it is hanging on my wall.

gram_saw_vice_photo_01.jpg

The result is that it sets the saw at a nice height and it is very easy and fast to drop it into one of my bench vises. It could also fit into my Moxon vise. Given the design, I think that this was easier to mount to my bench than the old metal vise that I had. If I had built the wooden vise as I had planned, I probably would have designed the base to be somewhat similar so that it would be easy for me to mount. Keep that in mind if you choose to build or buy one; how will you mount it?

It looks like it uses a wooden cantilever; I like it!

DSCF0006.JPG
    2x 8 added to the Wentworth No. 1......then the end vise can hold the vise in place....before I set it back on a shelf..
    DSCF0007.JPGDSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    And a file holder...
    wentworth #1.jpg
    What it looked like, once it came home from the Antique Mall ( got it at 1/2 price, too..)

Two holdfasts and done. Don't even need to use the face vise, or moxon. Oh and yep, it's a wentworth clone.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Nobody seems to know what it is, including Lee from the Best Things, who sold it to me. I used a Stearns (the relatively little one in the picture) for a few decades, which worked fine, but this one only requires one movement of a handsaw. Mass is a good thing for saw vises.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe look up ACME saw vise?

I stumbled into a good deal on a wide saw vise years ago. Showed it to a buddy who was in sharpening biz, he went nuts
    over it so I traded him even. I've yet to sharpen a saw.

Blog Entries
    Finally remembered to take a picture of my saw vise today:

Gramercy Saw Vise.jpg

Saw Vise Mounting.jpg

The mount was made from some scrap 2X8 construction lumber.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)