Thread: Keeping air compressor in the bathroom for noise reduction?

Keeping air compressor in the bathroom for noise reduction?

So the shop I bought has a small air conditioned bathroom/office space. I got to thinking there is plenty of space to put my air compressor inside and it even has an outlet in it already. I think it's either 30 or 50 amp, not sure but I think they used it to power a washer/dryer. Other than the compressor kicking on when you're on the toilet anyone see any issues with this? Then I can put the dust collector outside in the office part since that's not what I plan on using it for anyways and that should make it so I don't need to build any sound enclosure. Or will the dust collector cause I dusty mess inside? I'm assuming i'll need to vent some of the air out also so the dust collector works correctly?

Yes, it would work fine, but I personally would probably still co-locate with the cyclone to deal with the noise all at one time with one solution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It might work fine if I were sitting on the toilet, but if I (or worse, a visitor) were standing, peeing into the toilet when the compressor kicked on, I might need a change of clothes and/or a mop.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, it would work fine, but I personally would probably still co-locate with the cyclone to deal with the noise all at one time with one solution.
    I'm trying to decide on that one. I don't want the compressor sucking up a bunch of dust. Will probably make a sound enclosure detached from the compressor room.

There's a room outside the bathroom that's probably 7x10 that I could put the dust collector in, but I'm thinking about tearing that room out since it takes up too much space and doesn't do me much good.

Recommendation is to install a muffler on the compressor intake before the filter. That will reduce noise. No reason that can not go through a small hole in the wall to the outside. Even a rubber hose will help. This assumes the outside is not too hot or too cold/wet.
    Bil lD

Hahaha... I was thinking exactly that when read OP.

Except if I did not use the bathroom at all, I would not go to include into it a intermittent loud noise generator!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    It might work fine if I were sitting on the toilet, but if I (or worse, a visitor) were standing, peeing into the toilet when the compressor kicked on, I might need a change of clothes and/or a mop.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    All the best.

Osvaldo.