Thread: Vent - Almost 4 months and counting...

Vent - Almost 4 months and counting...

... since I've had a bandsaw.

I ordered a Laguna 18bx at the beginning of June during their 10% off sale. I would have preferred the Rikon 10-347,but at the time it would have been $800 more and even I couldn't talk myself into it. The dealer told me it would ship in a month, so I put my saw up for sale, thinking it would take a while to sell. It sold in 2 days.

A month and a half goes by (mid July) and I hadn't heard anything so I called Laguna to see when they would be shipping. They said not before September 24. That would put it probably into October by the time I got it. Looking around I noticed that Woodcraft had a 15% off sale on Rikon which put the 10-347 just $400 more and I could talk myself into that. So I called Rikon to see when they would be in stock - September 4. Well, that's better and it was the saw I preferred, so I canceled the Laguna and ordered the Rikon. Checked with Rikon a week ago and Now they're telling me they won't be in stock until September 24. By the time they get it and gets to Woodcraft and I get down there to pick it up (2 hours south from me) it'll probably be almost October. That's if they don't get delayed again. And so it goes.

Not really complaining, just needed to vent. The virus has messed up a lot of machine delivery times. I was ordering a bracket for my Hammer A3-31 and noticed the lead time for a new machine was 4-5 months. The salesman said that the Hammer plant was right next to Italy, so it was completely shut down for a few months.

So it's understandable but frustrating. I miss having a bandsaw. Maybe someday.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

That must be very frustrating. I’d vent too. I was very lucky as my dealer in Nova Scotia had some in stock and I was able to get a 18BX last week. I was quite surprised to find one as I had heard about the shortages.
    The Rikon looks like a very nice machine but that price difference was too big a leap for me as well. The Laguna is already a quantum leap forward from my old saw so I’m very satisfied.
    On the bright side, the end of September isn’t very far away now so you’ll soon be up and running.
    Good luck!

Not just covid delays, but almost certainly the rift with China over trade and other issues. I've been waiting on an order since the end of February and it has been rescheduled three times already. Now they tell me Oct. 1st. Don't want to cancel cause then I'll have to go through the same issues again. At least my name is on the top of the list, or so I'm told.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Know the feeling as well. I ordered some premium chisels back in March before COVID really blew up. They were supposed to ship by the end of that month. Enter COVID, and I still have yet to see them. Last I heard was some point in October. Keeping my fingers crossed as to getting them then. Thankfully I have sufficient others to accomplish any needed tasks, but it is frustrating waiting all this time. Especially when it was paid for with PayPal at the time of the order.

Clint

I feel your pain, and went through some of the delay with Laguna myself. A few weeks ago I jumped ship and ordered a Harvey bandsaw. It arrived at my house a week after the order. If you haven't looked at them, you might, if only just to see one of the other options.

Cliff, you and I should get together and sing a duet. I vacillated between the Laguna 18bx and the 10-347. Acme had a 15% off sale with no shipping charges so I ordered the Rikon. Just called Rikon last week and like you was told end of the month. My 14” SU Laguna is spoken for and it will go any day now leaving me with my 10” Rikon. But having no bandsaw at all is a real bummer. When we get our 347’s we should compare notes and write reviews here since there is a dearth of user information on this saw out there.

Yeah, I've also experienced a ton of delays with our freight shipments too. One of the freight terminals we use is down 4 drivers from Covid, so they're really behind. Just the way it is right now unfortunately. But eventually everything will get moved along.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    ...Not really complaining, just needed to vent. The virus has messed up a lot of machine delivery times. I was ordering a bracket for my Hammer A3-31 and noticed the lead time for a new machine was 4-5 months. The salesman said that the Hammer plant was right next to Italy, so it was completely shut down for a few months...
    No dog in this fight but as a manufacturer/distributor, I'll share some info for the public. The covid situation has affected pretty much every step in the supply chain. It's not just a case of "the manufacturer's plant" being short-handed, it's that plus delays and price increases for every little bolt, nut, screw, or motor we all source out from somebody else. EVERYONE in this industry has been affected. There is nothing really to be done except be patient. It will get back to normal but is just going to take some time. For time being, "patience" is the best headspace to be in.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I've been without a bandsaw since 2013. I never used one a lot and the one I had when we moved was home made and I junked it rather than pay to store it. I ordered a Jet 14 inch steel frame saw from Woodcraft on August 31st right as the Jet sale was expiring. The forecast is late September, I will probably call for an update next week if they don't email or call first. I need one to make a new dining room table in the design I like so it would be nice if it comes in time for me to get the table done before the holidays. But I have a table so it won't be a killer if I have to wait longer. I've been surviving without one OK. I think I will use the new one more, however, since it should be much nicer. Resawing on the table saw and cutting curves with a jigsaw isn't great.

Finally. I called Woodcraft today and they told me my bandsaw had been delivered 15 minutes before. I'll drive down to Indy on Wednesday and pick it up. There's a Resaw King with it and I'm looking forward to seeing how the combination works.

Heck, I'll just be thrilled to have a bandsaw again.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Congratulations! I’m sure that once you get it set up and running the wait will seem worth it. It looks like a very nice saw.
    Have a safe trip!

I got my Jet jwbs14sfx a couple weeks ago and got dust collection hooked up earlier this week. So far I like it. I've only cut up to 6 inch softwood on it so far but I turned a scrap into multiple veneers 1/8 thick pretty easily and accurately. Maximum capacity is 13 inches. I ordered 3 blades from sawblades.com which arrived a day or two after I picked up the saw. I've only installed the 1/2 so far (I also have a 3/4 and 1/4).