Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many coats of paint do I need?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I painted my house with a friend who is a pro (and has been for 20 years or so). We had the primer tinted to just a bit off the end color, then did two coats. He said if he came by and found that I'd skipped the second coat anywhere while he was gone, he'd slap me.

The paint looks great, completely and utterly even in all lights and in every room. It was worth the time and the second coat.

I like the way your friend thinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    My normal mode is, just go ahead and do the second coat anyway: it takes about the same time and is way less annoying than wandering around looking for the spots that need touch-up for whatever reason.
    I would have done that, but got lucky and only had one little spot along a window that needed to be addressed with the grey. Otherwise, I absolutely agree with you...the brown color in an adjacent area absolutely needed two coats.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    My wife wants to have about half out house interior painted. I think it is fine now, but you know how that goes.

The walls are now a medium beige. We are going to a light beige.
    The painter quoted on two coats of a medium price SW paint.
    Are two coats really necessary? I don't know much about painting, but I would think one coat would be adequate, as we aren't really changing the color.

He says the woodwork wasn't properly sanded in the first place and has satin paint on it.
    He will sand it all and put two coats of enamel on it. That seems reasonable.
    My wife tells me I am an idiot for even asking this question. Apparently the consensus is that she's right.