Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Systainer Storage?

The nice thing about the drawer/try type setup (and why I'll move to it someday if I have a new shop to outfit) is that it accommodates the fact that the Systainer's have tops that open. A full extension drawer/tray lets you pull it out, open the container, acces what you need to, etc., without physically moving the container to a different location/surface. Right now, most of mine are stacked two high on the shelves and Murphy's Law dictates that it will always be the one on the bottom that needs to be accessed. Drawers/trays are convenient and the containers will likely stay cleaner than they do sitting on open shelves. Looks orderly, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I too got tired of unstacking sustainers to get to the tool I wanted. I got the shelves from Festool to make my own cabinet that is similar to the Sysport system. Had to reconfigure my brain to work with the metric system to build the cabinet, but it was not difficult. And no I am not ready to switch to the metric system. My cabinet is on wheels to work in my space-challenged shop.

I bought 3 of the Festool Sysport 1000 units. Crazy expensive, but so much easier to pull out the Systainers and open them.

No question that making your own would be SO much cheaper.

Are the Sysport 1000 units no longer available? It looks like that online.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 09-18-2020 at 8:28 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I bought 3 of the Festool Sysport 1000 units. Crazy expensive, but so much easier to pull out the Systainers and open them.

No question that making your own would be SO much cheaper.

Are the Sysport 1000 units no longer available? It looks like that online.

I just purchased a few of the new Systainer3 M89 organizers. The new Systainers have different heights than the typical TLocs. They also have molded slide features on the sides for mounting in the Bott Vario Euro van racking system. I wonder if that is why the Sysports don't seem to be available ?
    Dick Mahany.

My setup. Extremely useful. Crazy expensive.

053C1B77-39BF-476A-ACC1-76FA86EAAB77.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks for posting that, Alan. The photo should provide some clear ideas to folks on how they can put together a setup like this. That will be my plan in the future, although I'll be building rather than buying. Having the shelves/trays so that they can be easily relocated up and down is a major feature of this idea, too, so that as the "collection" changes, the setup is flexible. Festool did that wisely.
    --

Well, in the end I ordered a 5 pack of the Sys-AZ drawers from LV. The one page instructions were at first very confusing on the spacing, but I just drilled the 32mm system holes spaced in 58mm and 224mm in from that (as in the instruction sheet). Later, after test fitting the first shelf, I figured out that the "SYS 2 O +6" meant for a SYS 2 put the rails 6 "units" above the first rail.

I thought I was finally going to use the Vertias shelf drilling jig (that I never used)... but alas it is 1" on center not 32mm. Found a $30 Milescraft template thing at Woodcraft. It did the trick (and I'm glad I bought it. My initial layout lines done by ruler and pencil was off enough to have caused the shelves to flub on the fit).

Nothing fancy just butt joints with screws & glue.

I ended up leaving the top open as:
    A) I screwed up the measuring and if I added the top there wouldn't be enough space for my Systainer 1 to fit above the SYS 4 (or was it 5).
    B) Since it is under a lumber rack, when the rack isn't populated I can grab the top systainer without opening the drawer
    C) If I ever move them, I can put any size Systainer in the top position.
    D) I was too lazy to move the lumber rack up the wall another few inches (again).

2020-10-11 11.47.34.jpg 2020-10-14 17.31.42.jpg 2020-10-14 17.44.44.jpg 2020-10-14 18.11.50.jpg

I painted the exterior for the heck of it.
    Glad I did, taught me some things about the lighter color General Finishes "Milk Paint". Namely, that I should have sanded the plywood, and possibly thinned it a bit with water. (Alabaster) went on thick.
    I will probably build a third.( still have a SYS 2, and two Sortstainers that feel left out). Maybe taller.. maybe at the height it would extend my lower lumber rack another two feet...
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 10-14-2020 at 8:22 PM.

That worked out nicely! As to the top situation, if you decide you need to put a top on in the future, you can simply add some solid stock to block things up for clearance on both cases.
    --