Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool Systainer Storage?

Festool Systainer Storage?

Anyone have good suggestions for storage? I have the Festool dolly, which lets me stack my full set of systainers on it if I have to take tools out of the shop.
    But it is less than ideal for use in shop. I'm having to unstack my way down to the tool that I want. (Typically the domino or the track saw which is always on the bottom).

Requirements:
    • Individual tool access (though Domino and dominoes boxes could be in same spot)
    • floor space efficient
    • something I can purchase vs. have to build is preferred (though in my case space efficiency trumps all)

Although not purchased, the use of individual shelves for systainers are far more useful in my shop than having tall stacks. Due to space limitations, everything has to be on wheels. In the case of the MFT3 cart, there are shelves on the rear of the cart as well as in the front and can hold at least 8 Systainers.

I believe Tanos / Festool offer AZ drawers for slide out storage, but they have to be built into a cabinet of some type. I haven't seen any commercially available Systainer storage solutions other than through the OEMs.

MFT3 Cart.jpg

MFTC 1.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

English subtitles are ok on this if you don't speak German.

That is one heavy duty shop!

Dick, those look cool. I couldn't do that for the MFT, I need to be able to fold up and stand on edge to get the car in when central Texas hailstorms sweep through. That robot looking cart is neat.
    Maybe the solution is to mount an open faced cabinet structure to the wall or underneath my lumber rack... thanks for the pics, it is getting the juices flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Dick, those look cool. I couldn't do that for the MFT, I need to be able to fold up and stand on edge to get the car in when central Texas hailstorms sweep through.That robot looking cart is neat.
    Maybe the solution is to mount an open faced cabinet structure to the wall or underneath my lumber rack... thanks for the pics, it is getting the juices flowing.
    Erich, that robot looking cart is from a plan by Timothy Wilmots Benchworks. That is the same bright guy that Peter Kelly linked to in his post above.

That cart is small enough when folded to store on the side of my garage between my truck and the wall. It is also narrow enough to fit through doorways for remodeling projects. The push-to-open ball slide shelves are super handy and make for excellent systainer access. I only wish I had space to build a fixed systainer shelf cabinet.

mftc 2.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-14-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

I put mine on shelves no more than two high in a shelf for convenience. If I were building a new shop, I’d build shelving specifically to be flexible like the Festool docking setup in thought and execution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I keep the sustainer for my domino in a utility room off my car garage. My track saw (DeWalt) and domino (XL) sit on dedicated shelves under my outfeed/assembly table. I also have a drawer under the track saw shelf where the accessories for the domino and track saw are stored. I do not buy pre-made dominos (at least yet) but I have a bunch of 3 foot long pieces of domino stock ready to go next to where the domino is stored. I only occasionally take these tools outside the shop and the last time it was just the track saw and shorter tracks and I did not bother to get the case down from the shelf in the utility room. I don't have a great way to do that, in other words.

To me your solution is partially determined by how often you need to use your tools outside the shop. For me, with almost 100% shop usage, I do not see where the cases help. I do not use cases for any of my often used tools. But if I was switching between shop and site usage I bet I would prefer a different solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I put mine on shelves no more than two high in a shelf for convenience. If I were building a new shop, I’d build shelving specifically to be flexible like the Festool docking setup in thought and execution.

Jim, When you say "docking setup", what do you mean? (Can you elaborate please?)

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Jim, When you say "docking setup", what do you mean? (Can you elaborate please?)
    Take a look at the s
    Systainer Port system including the drawers. Easy to reproduce shop-built and very neat and functional
    --

Dick,

Do you happen to have a link to the cart plans? I've looked at his website and his Youtube videos, and I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
    Mike

Mike,

Here is the link to the plans https://benchworks.be/en/plans/. They were very well done. The Sketchup model is excellent. I made a few modifications to mine as I didn't care too much about weight, so I used 3/4" mdf for the top and used Incra T-track because they fit the festool clamps well, but they are deeper so adjustment had to be made.

I have a few more pics of the finished cart in this thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Table-and-Cart

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with Benchworks.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-16-2020 at 1:27 PM. Reason: added disclaimer
    Dick Mahany.

Timothy is kinda out of woodworking as of late, being a major food producing farmer, but I'm happy his videos and plans, etc., are still available.
    --

I just ordered a 5 pack of the drawers. (And I have 5 Systainer boxes... so huzzah). At this point, I'm thinking about moving my lumber rack up a few more inches from the floor and making some little cabinets to go beneath it for these systainer pull out drawers. I"ll stack my two Sortstainers on the dolly and just be able to move it around as needed to be out of the way. (And can just load it up if I need to have the tools mobile for working out of the shop.