Thread: Seals and glues for clothes dryer repair

Seals and glues for clothes dryer repair

Are special seals and glues needed for replacing the felt and foam seals in clothes dryers?

i can understand why the felt seals at the ends of the drum are speciality items. However the felt and sponge seals around things that don't move look like ordinary weather stripping material. Sites selling dryer parts refer to using "high temperature glue". Are any typical glues like Goop household glue considered high temperature glues?

In the dryer I'm looking at ( Kenmore 90 series) I wonder why they don't use caulk to seal around the circular opening on the front of the dryer. That part of the assembly can't be taken apart.

I would look at high temperature rtv sealant as sold at auto parts stores. Search for service temperature for any thing else you would like to use. I would assume temp will max out a little under 212 F.
    Bill D.

PL caulk is 180 F, so no good
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-13-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Are special seals and glues needed for replacing the felt and foam seals in clothes dryers?
    How good is your fire insurance?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How good is your fire insurance?

jtk
    Seals inside dryers get covered with lint, so it isn't the seals that create the fire hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post

i can understand why the felt seals at the ends of the drum are speciality items. However the felt and sponge seals around things that don't move look like ordinary weather stripping material. Sites selling dryer parts refer to using "high temperature glue". Are any typical glues like Goop household glue considered high temperature glues?

In the dryer I'm looking at ( Kenmore 90 series) I wonder why they don't use caulk to seal around the circular opening on the front of the dryer. That part of the assembly can't be taken apart.

The maker of the replacement felt seals will have the correct type of bonding cement for this. You have a "rotating seal" at the door opening. The drum is supported by a couple plastic rub pads.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    You have a "rotating seal" at the door opening. The drum is supported by a couple plastic rub pads.
    The seal I was wondering about isn't where the drum meets the front of the dryer. It's between the circular opening on the front of the dryer and the flat part of the dryer body around it. So no motion is involved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    T

The seal I was wondering about isn't where the drum meets the front of the dryer. It's between the circular opening on the front of the dryer and the flat part of the dryer body around it. So no motion is involved.
    Your dryer should have a model and serial number printed on it somewhere. You would be amazed at how reasonably priced a part made for the job can be found at an appliance part dealer or on the internet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)