Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta cabinet saw still recommended?

Delta cabinet saw still recommended?

Delta cabinet saw still recommended?

I remember when I purchased my JET cabinet saw around the year 2000, the Delta Cabinet saw was considered the "one to get" Delta was considered a woodworking top brand. Parts would always be available etc.......

What do woodworkers think of the Delta brand today? Would you buy a Delta cabinet saw today?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I wouldn't buy a Delta carpenter's pencil today, if we are talking brand new. Vintage is just fine.

A Unisaw? For nearly the same price, you can buy a SawStop. I can't imagine why anyone would buy a new Unisaw.

I got a SawStop PCS 3hp a few years back. I didn't consider a Delta product.

Blog Entries
    The badge is on my 'full avoid' list. The Delta tools I still have come in two flavors.
    1. They were either made long ago and will probably outlast my children.
    2. They are new and made like poop and set me to fabricating my own parts as many are no longer available.
    I also went with the Saw Stop 3HP PCS. Top of the heap, safety feature or not, in the $3k cab saw marker IMHO.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-13-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Dave, I bought my Unisaw about the same time you bought your Jet. I haven’t regretted my decision once. That said, if I were buying today a new Delta wouldn’t even be in the equation.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sadly, another classic example of how the mighty have fallen. My rebuilt '48 vintage Unisaw is a great saw. I have a SS PCS. I would re-pose your question. In todays world, aside from the old Unisaw/66 saws, what, other than SS is a quality cabinet saw?

I don't have any Delta gear, but when I shop for new stuff, Delta is not even at the bottom of the list of manufacturers I will consider.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I believe Delta Unisaws made before ~2008/9 were made in USA, and were very well made. The variety of clones made in East Asia, and the sheer numbers of Unisaws made for ~70 years in the US, makes parts (and complete saws, in varying conditions) widely available.

The new model Unisaws were significantly revised, among other reasons, to comply with new riving knife requirements, that must follow the blade height. This eliminates the sometimes tedious need to remove or adjust a splitter for non-through-depth cuts, thus helping ensure their regular use.

I own a Delta Unisaw with 52" Unifence, which I purchased new in the early '90s.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    I would not buy a new Delta anything. The quality is not there & the owners of the company just seem to have nothing but contempt for their customers.

I had a 1998 Unisaw and had to part with it a few years ago when I downsized. It was an excellent and reliable saw, and I still miss it very much. I also still have a late 90's Delta 14" cast iron bandsaw and runs as good today as when it was new. Both tools had "made in USA" stickers on them.

Today, I wouldn't even consider a Delta power tool. Not even close to the same company as back then. The only recent purchases with a Delta name on them for me have been faucets
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-13-2020 at 3:21 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

It's unfortunate to say as I have a nostalgic reasons to like Delta, but they aren't the same company as they used to be. My first real table saw was a Delta, bought it back in their prime, the early 90's. It was a contractor model with a Bies fence, was a great saw. Really wanted a Uni, but couldn't afford it. Fast forward 30 years, I have 90's vintage versions of both models in my shop again and they are still great saws.

The reviews I have seen are still good on the Delta Unisaw. It is unique in having the wheel to change the angle of the blade on the front instead of the side. I think the Powermatic is similarly a good saw. The issue is they are in the same price range as the SawStop and lack the protective features of the SawStop. The SawStop is also a good solidly made saw with quality similar to the Unisaw and Powermatic's top saw. But SawStop is also very unlikely to amputate a body part. I managed to still get 6 stitches from mine but my finger is still fully functional.

If you can find a used Unisaw for a lot less than a SawStop I believe it could be a good choice as long as you are careful. I had been for 40+ years but then I got stupid and the SawStop saved my finger. I abhor the early marketing of the protective features but I like my table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    It's unfortunate to say as I have a nostalgic reasons to like Delta, but they aren't the same company as they used to be. My first real table saw was a Delta, bought it back in their prime, the early 90's. It was a contractor model with a Bies fence, was a great saw. Really wanted a Uni, but couldn't afford it. Fast forward 30 years, I have 90's vintage versions of both models in my shop again and they are still great saws.
    Their prime was well before the 90s. At least 30 years before that was their prime. 90s was the beginning of the end. They were importing machines from Brazil in the 90s.

Richard,those machines from Brazil are some of the best stuff Delta ever sold.