Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta cabinet saw still recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Richard,those machines from Brazil are some of the best stuff Delta ever sold.
    The new Invicta jointer I bought came with an incredibly warped and twisted fence. The tables were not coplanar and the dealer had a regional Delta guy come out to bring them in plane. Not the best I ever saw from Delta. I sold the jointer decades ago, still have that warped fence up in my garage attic. LOL I worked at Woodworker's Journal from 1995-1998. I was flown to Pittsburgh, Delta's Corporate Headquarters during that time. They were then preparing for lower sales numbers and had real concerns about the future of the company. I also went to the factory to watch a Unisaw being made with a sweepstakes winner while at the magazine. The work force was long in the tooth, and factory output was way down. That's what they told me anyway.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 09-13-2020 at 6:34 PM.

For what it's worth, I can balance a nickle on edge on the table of my Grizzly 5 hp 12" cabinet saw while it's running, and it's a much better value than a new Delta.

This discussion, with its near-unanimous views, has been informative for me. I haven't been in the market for any of the following for nearly 20 years now:
    – a 3 HP cabinet saw with a 52" Bies fence
    – a 16" full-size drill press
    – a 12" planer
    – a 1.5 HP 1200 cfm dust collector

I bought all of these new in the early '00s for half of what the best-buy equivalents go for now. I haven't been in the market since then because every one of these machines still performs as new today in my shop –– never even replaced a part. I haven't been in the market, so I haven't been watching the trends, which are plainly visible in this thread.

All of the above machines in my shop were made by Delta. Times change when I'm not paying attention. After reading this thread, I feel lucky indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Their prime was well before the 90s. At least 30 years before that was their prime. 90s was the beginning of the end. They were importing machines from Brazil in the 90s.
    Both of the Delta saws of that vintage that I have now, and that original saw that I mentioned, were made in the USA. I stand by that being their prime for the consumer tools that we're talking about. Call it the Norm period if you want, but Delta's Unisaw became the top of the pile then. I'm personally not against foreign made machines, as long as the quality of the manufacture remains the same. That's where Delta started slipping, and it hasn't stopped.

You can back up another 30 years and find wonderful specimens from many different manufactures. Part of that is because they made them better (heavier) then, part of it is because the crappy ones got tossed so only the good survive today.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Both of the Delta saws of that vintage that I have now, and that original saw that I mentioned, were made in the USA. I stand by that being their prime for the consumer tools that we're talking about. Call it the Norm period if you want, but Delta's Unisaw became the top of the pile then. I'm personally not against foreign made machines, as long as the quality of the manufacture remains the same. That's where Delta started slipping, and it hasn't stopped.

You can back up another 30 years and find wonderful specimens from many different manufactures. Part of that is because they made them better (heavier) then, part of it is because the crappy ones got tossed so only the good survive today.
    I'm curious when you started buying Delta machinery? By the 90s, every cabinet shop had changed to Powermatic 66s and Delta jumped on the Norm wagon with both feet for hobbyists. Delta should have jumped in with pin nailers right away as Norm single handedly built the hobbyist use of pin nailers.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 09-13-2020 at 9:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm curious when you started buying Delta machinery? By the 90s, every cabinet shop had changed to Powermatic 66s and Delta jumped on the Norm wagon with both feet for hobbyists. Delta should have jumped in with pin nailers right away as Norm single handedly built the hobbyist use of pin nailers.

I'm 47, I started watching Norm in the early 90's, and yes he was very influential in starting me into woodworking, and later a carpentry career. I started with a "nice" Shopsmith a Walker Turner drill press and some of my grandad's old hand tools. That first Delta tablesaw was the only Delta I ever bought new. We made a lot of neat stuff back then when life was simpler, hece the nostalgia I mentioned earlier. Over the years I've been lucky to be able to own and try a huge variety of machines, from serious consumer grade to old school pro stuff. I'm not very interested in CNC or newer factory tools yet.

The first unisaw came out in the late 30's, the PM66 in 66. I've owned Uni's from the earlier years, and a PM from the mustard era. They are both good saws. In my opinion though, what makes a great tablesaw is repeatability and reliability. Hard to argue against a Biesmeyer or clone for that. They came onto the scene in the mid 80's. To that end, my preference is to the 90's vintage Delta stuff with Biesemeyer for nostalgia and what I consider to be the peak of cabinet saw development. My go to cabinet saw is unfortunately something different, a big green slider, and that's what knocked the Uni off its mountain. At least in my shop, and I'm guessing many others to.

What killed Delta as a company was the sale to a Taiwanese firm, and it's subsequent bankruptcy in the late 2010 or 11, I don't remember which.

Blog Entries
    I bought a used 5 hp Delta Unisaw this year that is a 2014 model. I got a bargain on it - $1600 with 52" fence/table and mobile base ($3170 + tax retail ~$3500). It is a very well made saw and if you compare the similar model Unisaw ($2880) to a SawStop ICS ($4500) you will find the SawStop is a good deal more. The failure on Delta's part is the 3 hp SawStop PCS ($3150) is close to Delta's 3 hp ($2650 - they only offer the "industrial" model). This is the sweet spot for this higher end saw and there is a limited use case for the 5 hp.

My Delta Unisaw is made very well and will long outlast me. The riving knife and blade guard are adjusted and removed/installed very quickly making these features very useful and safe. But as you know it doesn't have the SawStop safety feature. However, I'm okay with the risk as I'm very safe in the use of my saw. There's risk in everything we do. I'm also happy not to have false trips resulting in having to replace a saw blade as well as replacing the safety mechanism.

I haven't used the SawStop but I have went through them multiple times at our local WoodCraft store. When I found my Unisaw I went there to look again before agreeing to purchase the Unisaw. The SawStop is very well made and no doubt is a great investment as it will outlast most users.

The good news for me is that I benefited from Delta's marketing mistakes and the poor general view of the company these days. I wouldn't buy a new Unisaw when I could get the 3 hp SawStop at a comparable price (a little more). Even if the Unisaw 3 and 5 hp are both built on the same "industrial" grade platform while SawStop has the 3 hp on a "professional" grade platform. The PCS is a very well built saw.
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 09-14-2020 at 2:15 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    For what it's worth, I can balance a nickle on edge on the table of my Grizzly 5 hp 12" cabinet saw while it's running, and it's a much better value than a new Delta.
    I think SawStop & Grizzly (and similar Asian imports) are the top choices today. I'm not sure where new Powermatic table saws fall. I too could not see a reason to buy a new Unisaw.

I have a 20+ year old unisaw. If I were buying today, I wouldn't look at much other than a sawstop. As much as I disliked his initial methods, the safety device combined with the reported quality (I haven't seen many in person) would be worth it. Then again, I generally don't use my saw much. Mostly it's become a table.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut