Thread: $200 track saws

$200 track saws

They are making entry priced track saws Menards has one and Wen makes another. The powertec track works with the Wen and is considered an up grade

https://wenproducts.com/products/ct1...f008fdbe&_ss=r

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/p...9990860634.htm

Festool owners were know your tool is better. Anyone else have experience with either saw

LINK to a recent thread on this that may help.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

FWIW, the Powertec track also fits the Masterforce. I purchased the 55" model and it works perfectly with my Masterforce Track Saw.

I had not seen Izzy Swan't review on youtube when I commented in the other thread. He liked it, said he was keeping it in his shop. There are other youtube reviews but I haven't watched them. I like my DeWalt and haven't used others.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    LINK to a recent thread on this that may help.
    Thanks I liked but didn’t find a previous thread

I have had the Wen for about 2 years and use it often. It is a good saw, works great, but you will want to upgrade the blade. My tracks were not square on the ends and wouldn't connect together and be straight. I trimmed the ends on the miter saw and they have been fine ever since. I would purchase this saw again without hesitation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kent wardecke View Post

I went right to it this morning Kent. Maybe try again?

Seems like people like the saw for the price. Better track and blade seem like common upgrades. I didn't find much from people who had used other track saws for some time giving comments so you want to factor that in. Lots of things people use for the first time or that are 'new' seem fantastic. Think about how many posts we have here praising average cutters just because the user let his previous cutters run until they were really bad. I'm not saying you can't get a sub-$200 track saw and be happy. I'm just saying a lot of the people who thought it was "terrific" had never used anything to compare it to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

Your point is valid but I do not think it applies to Izzy Swan who did a youtube on the Wen. He is a pretty experienced woodworker. He liked the Wen but had to square the track end.

Jim

Maybe I misunderstood your question. What I linked to was the most recent thread that Im aware of which talked about the Wen tracksaw. Wasnt that one off the two budget saws you wanted feedback on?
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-14-2020 at 7:00 PM.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

before I started this thread I “looked” for and didn’t find the thread that Fred Skelly posted. The link worked and it has the information I was looking for. I still need to watch the YouTube video. Thanks for your replies

before I started this thread I “looked” for and didn’t find the thread that Fred Skelly posted. The link worked and it has the information I was looking for. I still need to watch the YouTube video. Thanks for your replies
    Oh. Ok. Glad I was able to find it and help. Would love to read a review if you end up buying one of the Wen or Powertec. Best of luck in your purchase!
    Fred

I have the little Menards track saw. Masterforce 8-Amp Corded 4-1/2" Plunge Cut Circular Saw Kit with 53-1/2" Guide Track Things I liked about it: Long cord, dust collection (this is not great, but works) A variety of blades. Things I do not like, the short track, it is hard to keep the 4 1' tracks aligned. It cuts fine with a new blade, all I have done though is some plywood and slot wall. I am planning on selling it now though, since I was able to get a 2' track for my TrueTrac Saw system. The reason I like the TrueTrac is when I put the tracks together they are truly straight. The Square attachment with the 2' track was only $129.99 with a 2' track. Dan