Thread: Some 8'20 Turnings

Some 8'20 Turnings

IMG_3401 8'20 Turnings.jpg
    It seems there are some like me reading, but not posting. Here are some of the "returns" that I finished in August trying to work down some of the rough turned stock. The 3 pieces on left are NE (natural edge) pieces ranging from 13 to 18" long and 2 to 6" high. Bark was left on one when rough turned and it held through finishing. The 13"Lx4"H NE bowl in back is some soft maple, and the red streak 14"Lx5"H NE bowl in lower right is box elder. The 10"Dx3"H ash bowl in center is a "calabash" (round bottom) bowl done after the August local zoom club demo presentation. The 8"Dx11"H mesquite vase was turned side grain from short cutoff and left with NE. Mesquite was rough turned green about 3 weeks earlier and allowed to air dry then 3 weeks before sanding and finishing. Finish on all pieces was done by sanding to 400 grit, buffing with Tripoli, and then applying a wet coat of home brew Danish oil (extra varnish), dry wiped and allowed to dry. Then the buffing with Tripoli, and applying finish was done for total 3 coats. Then a final buffing with Tripoli and application of Renaissance wax with gentle buff.

Hope this generates some inspiration for others to post work done, even with my poor cell phone photo. I will add that this was probably less than 10% of time spent out in shop during this hunker down time. Sure glad to have the shop and plenty of projects to stay busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    IMG_3401 8'20 Turnings.jpg
    It seems there are some like me reading, but not posting. Here are some of the "returns" that I finished in August...
    It is great to see those! Thanks for sharing.

I'm reading and posting but doing very little turning, just two things since mid March. This is a shame since I'm drowning in wood. Just wait till it gets cold and the farm activity slows down!

JKJ

Thanks for posting, it's nice to see some finished work. And speaking of finished, the lustre on those pieces is really attractive.

I've been doing a little turning, but mostly just roughing out green stock before it goes bad, or doing the turning on NE pieces but not doing the final finishing to make them worth photographing. Summer is short in NE Minnesota, have to "make hay while the sun shines" (or fish, garden, mow, build, etc.).

Best,

Dave

I should have added note that items in photo are much larger than they appear, but I did not want to take a bunch of photos. I was hoping that the single photo and short comment about the finish process would generate some interest in others to post. Looks like there are a bunch of lookers and not posters out there. I will say that the finish used looks the same (possibly a little darker) 12+ years later on some pieces in the home that have not had anything more than a dry rag used for dust. It is a durable finish and takes handling well. Not for wet foods, but a damp cloth can be used if dried.

Nice looking finish! Did you apply The materials on the lathe?

Materials and buffing all done with pieces off the lathe. I have the buffing extensions from Don Pencil (8" long for 1" drive, and both 8 and 12" for 1-1/4" drive) that are no longer available. I use the original Don Pencil buffing wheels and buffs plus buffing wheels from Beale after changing the slot head bolts to elevator bolts with wide flat heads to reduce chance of damage during buffing. 8" long buffing extensions are available out there but not the 12" for the last 10 years to best of my knowledge. All the finish is done by hand wiping on using a small section of Bounty paper towel, letting sit for about 5 minutes, and then wiping again with the wet towel, and after again about 5 minutes, use dry paper towel to wipe dry. Pieces are just sitting on a dry paper towel on wire rack to dry in a box with lamp and vent holes until finish is hard. All coats of finish are buffed with Tripoli when dry and before the Renaissance wax. Usually try to finish 5 to 10 pieces at a time to keep time filled. Really a pretty simple system and no runs that I always seem to have trying to spray. Finish process was learned from the late Elmer Adams, HI and has been used on over 500 pieces.