Thread: Mid 1800’s wardrobe with curved crown moulding

Blog Entries

Mid 1800’s wardrobe with curved crown moulding

This was brought into the shop for my partner to restore. It is a West Indian (Caribbean) mahogany piece, likely built in the mid to late 1800’s. It has been owned by a well-known local collector. He sold it to another collector who did not realize that the top was a separate piece. He tilted it over to move it, and the top came off and crashed down the side of it, causing damage to the top and side.

Mark used local mahogany to repair the damages, and did a nice job. The rounded moulding at the top of this would be interesting to build. I may put it on my bucket list to build one similar. Interesting note: the top is attached with a sliding dovetailed block at either end. It works well unless you tip the thing over!

The mahogany has a very interesting figure to it. I at first thought it was walnut burl. The sides are a veneer about 1/4” thick over a less figured mahogany. You can see, however, that they used some lesser quality pieces of the figured mahogany for the back panels.

D7DC7F26-C4F1-4F8E-8744-8AE69DF4D551.jpg 1651070E-AB1D-42BB-B77E-21DB594CE20C.jpg AA578091-6C1F-4D2C-BB58-6C2D43F7D7B3.jpg

That is monumental but with better ...and lighter material than marble. Glad that wood was not used on something in the
    full blown Empire period. Got to be pretty heavy, I don't think I could sleep near it ,unless it was bolted to the wall.

Malcolm, what type of finish is on it?

Malcolm, that is a neat piece. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    Malcolm, what type of finish is on it?
    french polish followed with wax.

Beautiful piece, what are the overall dimensions. Be interesting to see your progress throughout the project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Erickson View Post
    Beautiful piece, what are the overall dimensions. Be interesting to see your progress throughout the project.
    It is roughly 90” tall and maybe 48” wide. It is my shop partner’s project and is already complete. I am working on the house and didn’t get to be at the shop for the project.

That’s a monster! My grandmother had one like it that was walnut. Thanks for sharing!

I love that it is "interesting" mahogany over "boring" mahogany (kind of) Beautiful piece.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I love that it is "interesting" mahogany over "boring" mahogany (kind of) Beautiful piece.
    I thought it was figured walnut when I saw it until I got to looking at it up close. It has a very brown appearance compared to other West Indian mahogany pieces we get in.