Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Melt Glue

Hot Melt Glue

I never liked hot melt glue,,,until I tried it. Pretty handy stuff. A friend was moving to a smaller place and gave me a kit.

I broke down and purchased one of those high output hot glue guns a while back, and bought glue formulated for woodworking. It is light years ahead of the old tiny hot glue gun I had.
    I have found great uses for it that have saved me tons of time as I go - mostly using it when flattening wide boards that won’t fit on my jointer or tryingvto maximize yield with my Alaskan mill - I highly recommend that people add one to their toolkit - lots of McGyver moments available with that thing

I use it weekly (no kidding). I make custom cardboard boxes to store some tools and jigs and it is great. I also use it for temporarily attaching drawer faces and temporary hold downs. I know some like super glue and painters tape for that too.

I do wear gloves, because the stuff is hot!
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    [...]

I fully agree. Last Saturday I got some of it on my mid finger from my left hand. OMG!

I purchased my hot gun on 1992 from B&D. It was made in the US. The glue was made in Canada. I purchased a full box I use up to now. It is a handy tool to have near by.

Blog Entries
    Thomas - post some pics of your storage! I haven't utilized all my wife's orders from Amazon (ok and all my shop tool orders) cardboard shipping containers for storage.
    I like my cordless Ryobi hot glue gun! I know it's not a Festool but dang it works great!

I use it weekly (no kidding). I make custom cardboard boxes to store some tools and jigs and it is great. I also use it for temporarily attaching drawer faces and temporary hold downs. I know some like super glue and painters tape for that too.

I use to attach brown paper dust protection to the backs of picture frames.

Odd timing,.. we have a couple high output stick feed guns and run long sticks. Guy in the shop knocked it off his bench and it just happened to land on the stick with the tip pointing up/at him. Ripping hot glue shot from the floor up on to his forearm and bicep area leaving a bunch of small but pretty nasty burns. Wouldnt happen with a lower end gun but the more production guns, especially if they sit for just a few minutes and the glue in the chamber gets blistering hot are, well, blisteringly hot.

Blog Entries
    And the worst thing about it is that it doesn't just drip back off, but sticks around to give all its heat to that tender flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    And the worst thing about it is that it doesn't just drip back off, but sticks around to give all its heat to that tender flesh.
    Yep, and once it cools you get the joy of peeling it off ripe burned skin. I was just glad it didnt hit him in the face.

Are you talking about a glue gun with an electric feed?

The hand squeeze models are all I have even seen. I am way behind the times

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Are you talking about a glue gun with an electric feed?

The hand squeeze models are all I have even seen. I am way behind the times
    No these are still trigger/hand feed. Pulls the stick in with each pull of the trigger like a caulking gun. But if you shove the stick manually, or bang it against something.... So when the gun hit the floor with all the weight of the gun landing on the stick it shot molten glue out the tip. This is a gun from hotmelt.com and it runs way hotter than any 300w gun Ive ever had. The glue is often times bubbling hot.

Darn, I was looking forward to owning a power feed glue gun. Probably for the best I would most likely waste a lot of glue with a power feed

Darn, I was looking forward to owning a power feed glue gun. Probably for the best I would most likely waste a lot of glue with a power feed
    I would imagine that with some practice (and assuming the gun has some level of control at the trigger) one might get to the point that waste was minimal and still benefit from not getting a sore wrist. My old thing is hand-fed, but I rarely use it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had seen an electric feed gun that was like $300 bucks. Perhaps a bit more than I would ever need to spend though these are like $100+ a pop. If your running one a lot it would make sense. No idea if they are variable speed on the trigger or some dial-adjust, or just on/off.

It was handy to attach these temporary clamping blocks.

Hot Melt Glue.jpg