Thread: Grizzly G0441 Wynn filter upgrade, and free filter offer (scratch and ding)

Grizzly G0441 Wynn filter upgrade, and free filter offer (scratch and ding)

Hi everybody,

Long-time lurker... don't really post that much on the forums these days... too busy with kids & work... anyways, still making lots of dust when I do get some spare time and I was getting sick of the degraded suction from my G0441 Grizzly 3HP cyclone... I definitely remembered being more impressed when it was new, and no amount of filter cleaning seemed to bring it back to life. I tried everything. I reached out to Dick Wynn at Wynn Environmental and he sent me some great pictures of plenum box designs based on their filters. I ordered two of the 13R230NANO model and then spent some time coming up with a plenum box that would fit into my garage shop layout. Finally had a chance to fabricate and install the filters the last couple of weekends. Plenum box is something I made out of 3/4" birch plywood. Tried to get the paint color close to the Grizzly color to assist me with my OCD problem... I incorporated the Gamma Seal Lid approach that they, and Shawnee Hills (Youtube) suggested (video link below). Great little idea they have there... I decided to throw out the 8" flex hose that came with the G0441 originally and switched over to all metal ducting. The last thing I am going to do is add a Dwyer magnahelic to the output stage, using a hose barb nipple, to measure static pressure building up on the filter. That will help me understand better when it is time to unscrew the filter and clean it.

FREEBIE OFFER: When I ordered the 13R230NANO filters, one of the boxes was beat up by UPS. The metal cage on filter is dented in and I didn't feel like mucking around with it, so I asked Dick Wynn if they could file a claim with UPS. They did, and another filter was sent from the factory. I really don't feel like throwing this thing out, I'm guessing it will work just fine. Someone with some time might even be able to straighten out the cage... I have very little time... so I thought I would offer it up for free here. If you are interested, PM me.

Link to Shawnee Hills Youtube site that shows a bit of this approach in their video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OveaZIf-kT4

Thanks for reading,

-Louie

20200912_120412.jpg
    20200912_120611.jpg
    20200912_120636.jpg
    20200912_145836.jpg
    20200912_151222.jpg
    20200912_153408.jpg
    20200912_124247.jpg

Blog Entries
    Hi Louie,
    I'd be interested in the filter. Let me know if it's still available.
    I wasn't able to PM you. It may have been my error but it did give me an indication that you weren't set to receive private messages.

PM sent. I wasn't a contributor, but now I am.

-Louie

Louie,

Your set up looks good! Nice job! I'm in the process of doing something similar. I just got the same filter today from Wynn Environmental. Where did you buy the gamma lids and the buckets? Any lessons learned for someone about to do the same thing? How did you size the plenum? Did you use carpet in it, and did the carpet quiet down the system?

Again, great job on the project!

Jay

Hi Jay,

I purchased the Gamma Seal Lids from Lowes. Home Depot had a knock-off and it just didn't look like it would work. I did not use carpet or any kind of insulation... When I fired it up, without ear protection, It didn't seem louder or quieter than with the original filter. Honestly, everything out there is loud and I always have my in-ear blu-tooth buds in listening to music... I can't hear a darn thing... and luckily the neighbors and the wife don't complain.

In regards to lessons learned... The Shawnee Hills video showed him using a HUGE bandsaw to cut the bucket top off after popping the Gamma Seal Lid on... my bandsaw is BIG but not HUGE... and the bucket didn't fit (my re-saw capacity is around 11-12 inches). Anyway, I ended up doing it with a sawzall and i didn't do quite as good of a job with the first one for my standards... I tried to go too fast... take it slow, there's no rush! Shawnee Hills recommended a pretty tight hole in the plenum for the buckets to fit into, but then mentioned that you could cut that hole with just about anything. I didn't see how I could cut a good sharp hole with a jigsaw, so I went and bought the Milescraft 1219 circle cutting router jig. I have been woodworking for around 15 years and always wanted some kind of circle cutting jig, but never had a reason to buy one... this was a good enough reason... cost was $43. Made cutting those two bucket holes and the side feed duct hole a snap... Do a good job of measuring the diameter of whatever you are making the circle for.. and then make sure that you set the jig up properly if you use it... I didn't know how to use the circle jig and I thought I did so the first hole came out around 1/4" too big... I just used a WHOLE bunch of Liquid Nails to fill that up... but I am going to have to go back and do some extra sealing around that metal feed duct... the two Gamma Seal Lid holes were so tight I had to tap them in with a mallet... needed minimal gap filling there...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Louie

Thanks very much, Louie, for all this information. One of the things I enjoy the most about woodworking is the problem solving piece of it, including learning new skills as you did for this project (and I will for mine). Thanks again, best wishes, and stay safe in this crazy time.

Same to you Jay, and I couldn't agree more! I almost felt guilty using the brilliant Gamma Seal Lid idea from Shawnee / Wynn because I was irritated I didn't come up with it myself

-Louie

Blog Entries
    Nicely done!!! I wish I had done as neat/clean of a job that you did. My setup is fairly similar but has a decidedly more "cobbled together" look... plus.. my taping of seams (while balanced on one foot hanging above my table saw) look like a 4 year old did it. Luckily my version of OCD is selectively applied :-)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Thanks Bob. Obviously the most important part of doing something is that it works in the end. There are plenty of folks with OCD that can make something look pretty and have it perform like crap. Conversely, there are also people that do such a poor job of building things, because of lack of attention to detail, that the thing they are building doesn't perform well. I'm assuming you're happy with the performance with your setup and that is the most important thing! I actually haven't cut any wood since finishing this, but I definitely can't wait!

-Louie

Blog Entries
    That's the good news... the setup works really nicely :-)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)