Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Stackabe/Modular Box System for Misc Storage?

There are a lot of surplus night vision goggle boxes for sale. I have a few for storing camping utensils and food.
    Bil lD

I have quite a few 761 Plano Tool boxes I use for power tools and tool kits (I have a lot of extra trays though, since they don't always fit with the tool.) I wait until Menards has them on sale for $6-8. They stack nice and hold quite a bit. Parts, I use a variety of boxes from Husky, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Stanley. All but the Husky (new models do) clip together for carrying. The Milwaukee, though is the best since you can open the Lids with one on top. Lots of rack systems are made for them. You might also check out YouTube, where many people are making their own Systainers. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    I'm trying to reclaim floor space in my shop garage. Part of this effort is organizing things.

The Festool stuff stacks great, but is a bit pricey and comes in just that one shape. I did spring for two Sortstainers for screws and nails, but they are pretty heavy. Festool stuff and the mobile cart I got are great for going to a job site (which isn't a frequent occurrence for me), but seems like overkill just for keeping odd parts and such in. (But maybe not, I've only ever owned the boxes that have Festool power tools already in them).
    If you like Systainer/Sortainer gear, it does come in different sizes (still that same basic shape, though). Looking through the stuff from Tanos adds further options, though it won't come in that Festool light grey/optic green color scheme if that matters.

https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/systainers

I keep a large Dewalt toolbox in the back of my old Jeep. Super-tough, but they do carry a strong plastic stench, and the stiff flip latches may not be finger-friendly for regular shop use. Home Depot has smaller versions, which also stack and roll.

I've looked at Milwaukee's versions. I always want to like Milwaukee stuff. Their power tools have treated me well over the years. I don't like their boxes, though, no matter how tough they are and how sleek they look. IMO, they make poor use of space.

Pretty Wife keeps a set of Ridgid (Home Depot's house brand) stacking/rolling boxes that she uses for drop-in event cooking: roller box base with a closed box and an open box at the top. She's been pleased with them.

Cheers,

Jack
    --Jack S. Llewyllson

Gratitude is a gift to yourself.

Purity tests are the bane of human existence.

Codeine takes the pain from every muscle but the heart.

I always like the movies where at the end the take the secret invention, that the world is not ready for, and store it away in the secret vault buried deep underground. Miles of storage shelves and lockers all built at once so it all matches. Usually with a computer power lock system.
    Bil lD

Here is some in real life.
    https://www.vulture.com/2017/02/the-...ke-inside.html

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ard-180962749/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-27-2020 at 2:52 PM.

I have a five drawer rack and each has compartments made by Durham. It holds different sizes of machine screws, wood screws, etc. They have a wide variety of industrial storage options in all sizes, all made of metal at Durhammrg.com

Blog Entries
    The Milwaukee pack-out system is extremely high quality & they come in many different sizes & formats. They are very tough. I have several for job site use, but I don't use any in the shop. Tom's solution is much better in a shop setting. You don't want to be unstacking containers to get at the bottom one.

Still haven't decided. But I'm building cabinets for the Festool stuff I do already have. This will solve the unstacking problem... at least for the tools themselves.

8. I've also used about 20 Plano tackle-boxes for about 15 years. None have failed. There are 4-5 variations on the 3700 series (7"x 14"?)

When faced with staging many small parts that needed to be frequently moved around my shop work stations, I built some tote bins out of a bunch of Baltic Birch drops that were getting in my way. These are stackable, because I made 1" square feet with tapered edges out of some more Baltic Birch and glued them on, just slightly in from the edges of each base corner, so they would lock into the bin below them. I don't remember the dimensions of these bins, but they can be made any size. All were finished with two coats of Poly inside and out. I usually apply sticky notes to show the contents, but sometimes just use a grease pencil on the ends to indicate what's in them, since it rubs off easily with mineral spirits on a paper towel. These have gone to several trade shows where I demonstrate scroll sawing and woodworking, and sometimes these bins have gotten more attention than what I've been demonstrating. For me, they are just tote bins of a convenient size.

See the photos of the tote bins attached, along with samples of what's usually in them. From memory, they are 6" X 12" and 4 or 5" deep. I made 12 of them.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you like clear plastic containers the Sterelites are made in the US and awesome. You can get them at Target and many other places and they come in tons of different shapes and sizes. I have well over a hundred and have used them for years.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Hi, wall cabinets are inexpensive to make.

I have a very small shop, organization is really important. I've made custom cabinets that allow me to us inexpensive plastic boxes with labels.......Rod.

Hiding Out.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    If you like clear plastic containers the Sterelites are made in the US and awesome. You can get them at Target and many other places and they come in tons of different shapes and sizes. I have well over a hundred and have used them for years.
    I also have hundreds of these around the house, but over the last couple of years I have found that they have stopped making most of them.

I usually use them inside cabinets. If you space the shelves well, and choose the correct sizes, they are incredibly space efficient.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, wall cabinets are inexpensive to make.

I have a very small shop, organization is really important. I've made custom cabinets that allow me to us inexpensive plastic boxes with labels.......Rod.

Hiding Out.jpg
    Edison lamps, LOL. How retro of you Rod.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I also have hundreds of these around the house, but over the last couple of years I have found that they have stopped making most of them.

I usually use them inside cabinets. If you space the shelves well, and choose the correct sizes, they are incredibly space efficient.
    They do seem to be getting a little harder to find, especially post covid, but check Target. Thats where I bought almost all of mine.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I use the Plano 3700 boxes for many different things, from hardware to electronics to game pieces. They work really well. I probably have close to 70 of them.

I also use the Sterilite boxes that can be bought at Walmart and other places. They stack nicely and are great to store many things. I have hundreds of them as I found 10 and 4 packs on clearance at Walmart a couple of years ago for $2.50 a pack (about 1/4 regular price). I got a cart and filled it completely. I came back later and they were all gone. I think they were mismarked and the employees cleared the display after I left.