Thread: Eucalyptus Grandis

Eucalyptus Grandis

In California pretty much all is blue gum or red gum. But lots of single trees of other varieties.
    Bill D.
    PS: Tallest hardwoods in N. Awerica are the blue gum eucalyptus at UC Berkley in California. Still growing taller since 1882.

https://selectree.calpoly.edu/tree-detail/eucalyptus-grandis

https://selectree.calpoly.edu/tree-d...yptus-globulus
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-12-2020 at 8:22 PM.

I’ve used lyptus and found it pretty boring. The other plantation grown wood I have used is Teak. I also found it lacking compared to real teak.
    I wouldn’t get too excited about Grandis I bet it doesn’t live up to its name.
    Aj

I have never seen any Eucalyptus plywood described by species. There are about 700 species in Austrailia. Probably less the 100 have made it to the new world. The box stores here carry "hardwood" plywood from central america. gooid luck going back and buying more to match. They no longer carry the nice 9 ply monterey pine plywood from china. Now it is like 3-5 thicker plys.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I’ve used lyptus and found it pretty boring. The other plantation grown wood I have used is Teak. I also found it lacking compared to real teak.
    I wouldn’t get too excited about Grandis I bet it doesn’t live up to its name.

locally grown species?
    Bil lD

I made a nice fruit bowl for my father-in-law with red grandis and a segmented walnut rim. I only have a small picture of it (attached) since I forgot to photo it before I gave it to him. But it think the grandis is a very nice looking wood. It turned and finished easily. More so than other mahogany substitutes I have used (African mahogany for example) 9F2DCB83-D234-4202-AFA7-7A9C5E63E620.jpg