Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup/Workshop/Layout of Shop

David, I don't know what a Sonora dog is, but I already have a cat.

I'd consider relieving Ken of one of his Moravian benches, but I already spent so much time watching and rewatching Will Myers teach me how to make a slab top Roubo. (video I purchased) ...wouldn't want to let Will down.

A Sonoran dog is basically a hotdog that's wrapped in bacon and grilled, topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes. From there it kind of depends on where you go to get one. In Tucson, I'd say El Guero Canelo, or BKs... but.. I prefer the carne asada at El Guero Canelo, so I rarely have their dogs. You know, local kind grinds.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    I am often a tad envious of folks with ample shop and/or garage space.
    Same here!

Back in US, I had a 10'-12'x12'-14' shop, and a 10'x8' shed. It was so crowded that I started to avoid any boards larger than 6'.

Well then we moved to Canada. Before our move, I sold off jointer, router tables and few other machines that hardly saw any use.
    After a month at company provided house, we started rental house search. Well we did not find anything in our budget and rented a smaller house that appeared very spacious. Well floor area is fact, perception is a feeling.
    Sold, some machines and we finally were able to fit everything in the house.

Since last 4 months, this is my shop.

PXL_20200916_025220732.jpg

Yup! It sits right in the family room, occupying the dining area (probably 8'x10'). You got to do what you got to do.
    Well built a box, learnt how to create coopered lid, restored few tools and practiced dovetails here.
    As a added benefit, kid got a little interested. He tries to do something on the bench once in a while now.

One thing that has helped greatly, is buying the Tool Chest. It's I think the 42" model, top and bottom. This thing fits and organizes tonnes of stuff.
    Smaller power tools got moved to Dewalt boxes. My job site table saw stays outside in back patio under a tarp.

Few weeks back, we bought a house. We have kept some money aside now to construct a separate small shop.
    A month more before we move though, and then construction!

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    A Sonoran dog is basically a hotdog that's wrapped in bacon and grilled, topped with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes.
    You had me at "bacon".

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    Same here!

Few weeks back, we bought a house. We have kept some money aside now to construct a separate small shop.
    A month more before we move though, and then construction!
    Glad to hear you can build a shop. So exciting! (And I'm green with envy). No, but seriously, awesome news. I grew up in the country where land was cheap. (Not so much here in Austin, TX). I took ample land for granted back then.

We might move one day, but COVID is killing our business and if it tanks... long road to recovery. So I'm just going to double down on my garage workshop and make it as space efficient as possible!

Glad to hear you can build a shop. So exciting! (And I'm green with envy). No, but seriously, awesome news. I grew up in the country where land was cheap. (Not so much here in Austin, TX). I took ample land for granted back then.

We might move one day, but COVID is killing our business...
    When you get the space and time and your business recovers (it will!), think about building the shop yourself whether a stand-alone building or an add-on. You can save a fortune that way. Fortunately, land is still cheap in lots of places, including TN.

I tell people I built my shop with my bare hands, but I lie, I used tools. Besides hand tools and some cordless tools (circular saw, impact driver), I made good use of a portable table saw and a SCMS.

Fortunately I have some dirt equipment so I was able to clear and level a spot near the barn and put up posts and beams. I did get my son to help put up the the 6x6 beams. Since I'm elderly and feeble I don't climb well any more so I hired a builder friend to bring a crew and crane to set the trusses and put the roof on. I did all the forming and rebar for the concrete floor and paid some concrete guys to pour and surface the slab, then did all the inside and outside myself including the wiring. Most was just woodworking, something most of us here can do and enjoy! It took a while - I spent a couple of years and still have some finishing up to do, but I'm certain I saved a huge amount of money. I have built a few smaller buildings and a number of decks, but this was my first larger building (24x62).

Clearing_2012-08-09_19-32-4.jpg welding_rebar_2012-11-09_16-02-17_969.jpg posts_AA042_2012-11-16_16-1.jpg roofing_2012-11-21_15-28-29_709.jpg shop_studs.jpg shop_llamas_IMG_20150422_08_re.jpg

I'm planning now for another but much simpler and cheaper - a big shed to store equipment and hay. This one will be about 30x72, gravel floor, no walls at first. If you end up moving to this area maybe I can help prep the site or dig a trench for the power. I love playing in the dirt!

JKJ

We might move one day, but COVID is killing our business and if it tanks... long road to recovery. So I'm just going to double down on my garage workshop and make it as space efficient as possible!
    Thanks! I have heard similar things about Texas Country side. Big houses and land. Never been there though.

Business will recover and bloom better than ever!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    When you get the space and time and your business recovers (it will!), think about building the shop yourself whether a stand-alone building or an add-on. You can save a fortune that way. Fortunately, land is still cheap in lots of places, including TN.

I tell people I built my shop with my bare hands, but I lie, I used tools. Besides hand tools and some cordless tools (circular saw, impact driver), I made good use of a portable table saw and a SCMS.
    Wow! And, that's a big shop.

Request: When you do your next shed, if possible, post some pictures/steps. I would love to try building a shed.

John, that looks like a project that would be a lot of fun. I've only built a shed myself.
    But I bought a 2" chisel and a timberframing book years back... this has always been in the back of my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    Wow! And, that's a big shop.

Request: When you do your next shed, if possible, post some pictures/steps. I would love to try building a shed.
    I have hundreds of pictures of various sheds and such. It would be difficult to make a universal list of steps. This is the third (and probably last!) shop I've built, each was a different type of construction due to the available site, size, and how much money I had saved up!

Years ago before I built anything I started buying and reading books on building construction. There is a huge amount of good information out there. I like to read all the different ways to do things then decide which is best for me.

I do like basic post and beam construction with concrete slab floor rather than conventional stud wall construction. For my shop I used 6x6 posts with double and triple 2x beams supporting wooden trusses then built walls with 2x6 studs between the posts - since the walls are not load-bearing I could put doors and windows anywhere without being concerned about support, lots of bracing, 1/2" plywood inside and OSB plus smart siding outside made a sturdy structure. A simpler shed can be built quickly depending on the needs. A month ago we put up a 10x20 shed with dirt floor for a llama shelter (took 1 day for the frame and another for siding) and this fall I hope to finally finish a 12x24 peacock house with concrete floor - it's 90% done. These sheds are also post and beam construction but with rafters rather than trusses since they are small structures. I have a sawmill so I cut 4/4 lumber for siding for farm buildings. I've been looking for more cedar logs to finish this one!

peacock_house_IMG_20170207_.jpg peacock_concrete_IMG_201702.jpg peacock_house_B.jpg peacock_house_A.jpg

The first thing I decide is the size. Then what kind of structure. Then I plan everything before I start - my notebook for the shop probably has 50 pages full of drawings, some sketches, some very detailed, many are pages of revisions as I refine my thoughts. The building was intended as a wood shop plus farm support, maintenance and such so it has a small weld shop with an outdoor work area, machining, office area, and animal care supplies. Early in 2019 I turned part into a poultry incubating and brooder area and raise peacock and guineas and such. Good fun!

In case you are interested, this is my basic shop layout - includes a sound-insulated closet for DC and air compressor, heat and air, plenty of power. But no bathroom! I have an addition planned...

shop_floorplan.jpg

JKJ

John, that looks like a project that would be a lot of fun. I've only built a shed myself.
    But I bought a 2" chisel and a timberframing book years back... this has always been in the back of my mind...
    A friend of mine was interested in building a timberframe house so he bought some traditional timberframing hand tools and made a number of sample joints, mostly to understand how it all worked. Then when he finally built he hired a company from up north to do the structure. They made all the pieces in their shop then shipped to the site and put it all together. Very impressive to watch it go up!

When we bought our farm in '03 it had a timberframe house built in '88, good and solid but not well taken care of.

farm_house_P6162388e.jpg ceilingfan.jpg

Before we move in we stripped the kitchen to the floor and redid all that, then a couple of years ago we moved a few internal walls, new bathroom, replaced the wood siding, new roof, big deck, sunroom, screened porch.

counter_P3191149_es.jpg

But a little sympathy, please - from the kitchen windows and deck we are forced to look out over the horse pasture, woods, and such. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

farm_rainbow_P5113621e.jpg

JKJ

John, I don't know... rainbows and alpacas? Such a terrible view. I thought it was to be rainbows and puppy dogs? (Kidding).

I added on a full-width, long carport to the front of my garage and turned the garage into a full time shop many years ago. I built the original 24' w x 26' l garage myself before that and shared the garage with shop activities and a single auto for several years. I have never have suffered any hail damage to the autos parked under the carport, plus they are out of the baking sun we have here for most of the year. It makes a lot of difference.
    David

John, I don't know... rainbows and alpacas? Such a terrible view. I thought it was to be rainbows and puppy dogs? (Kidding).
    A poll of the 6-year-old girls in my kindergarten SS class a few years ago indicated that rainbows go with ponies and horses and especially unicorns.
    If my eyes are watering with allergies the horses might look like unicorns.

JKJ

David, I don't know what a Sonora dog is, but I already have a cat.

I'd consider relieving Ken of one of his Moravian benches, but I already spent so much time watching and rewatching Will Myers teach me how to make a slab top Roubo. (video I purchased) ...wouldn't want to let Will down.

Erich,

I'll expand on Mikes reply. While a Sonoran dog can have many toppings the real key is the Bolillos roll. A Bolillos is a French baguette that speaks Mexican. As an old river rat I grew up on 'em as I ran up and down the Rio Grande from El Paso to Brownsville and they beat a U.S. hot dog bun or almost any bread available in the States. BTW, those were the days my friend, I'm lucky to have lived and experienced them.

I know advice is cheap but lose the Myers Roubo video and geek out on his Moravian video. you will end up with a better bench.

ken