Hello!

I've searched back through a couple of years of posts regarding finishing maple and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm hoping you all will have some advice!

I'm almost finished sanding a kitchen table top that is 6/4 hard maple. (The table frame is painted poplar) I don't have extensive experience with finishing hard woods and my previous work has been limited to a water based poly-acrylic. My top priority is something that will preserve as much of the natural color of the maple as possible. (I know that the maple itself will yellow some over time but I don't want to use anything that will speed that along or take it further amber than it already will get!) I'm also looking for a finish that will be fairly durable because I have a large puppy who is a work in progress when it comes to putting her paws on the table.

I do not currently have anything to spray finish... If the best solution involves spraying I'm open to making that happen but if it's 6 of 1 half dozen of another I would prefer to brush or wipe!

Thank you in advance for the advice!