Thread: Finishing Maple Kitchen Table

Finishing Maple Kitchen Table

Hello!

I've searched back through a couple of years of posts regarding finishing maple and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm hoping you all will have some advice!

I'm almost finished sanding a kitchen table top that is 6/4 hard maple. (The table frame is painted poplar) I don't have extensive experience with finishing hard woods and my previous work has been limited to a water based poly-acrylic. My top priority is something that will preserve as much of the natural color of the maple as possible. (I know that the maple itself will yellow some over time but I don't want to use anything that will speed that along or take it further amber than it already will get!) I'm also looking for a finish that will be fairly durable because I have a large puppy who is a work in progress when it comes to putting her paws on the table.

I do not currently have anything to spray finish... If the best solution involves spraying I'm open to making that happen but if it's 6 of 1 half dozen of another I would prefer to brush or wipe!

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Arm-R-Seal is surprisingly pale on hard maple. You can apply it with nothing more than a paper towel, too.

John

Brushing or wiping will lead you to oil based finishes like arm r seal. Durable, but amber.

Waterbased “polys” or “conversion varnishes” are in general less colored than oilbased In recent years some of them have become quite durable and appropriate for kitchen tables . But these are best sprayed.

The best investment I made a couple years ago is an hvlp sprayer. Spraying water based products is much less intimidating for a homeowner in terms of ventilation, flammability, and clean up.