Thread: Point Fence

Point Fence

I never installed the fence on my band saw because it eats into the clearance to the left of the blade. And I sometimes rip wood that is not perfectly straight grained which results in the piece pushing away from a full fence after the cut. This solves those two issues.

Resaw Fence.jpg

Cool. I will likely try this. I miss the feature from the Kreg fence that went with my previous bandsaw. Is their another clamp on the other side to keep it from twisting? Is that a problem? Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    And I sometimes rip wood that is not perfectly straight grained which results in the piece pushing away from a full fence after the cut.
    Resaw Fence.jpg
    The piece pulling away from your fence after the cut is an indication that your table and fence is not aligned with the blade. If you have never aligned your table and fence to the blade you won't believe the difference it makes. How to align your Band Saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee thats a great tip , I really didn't think of that . Thanks

There is only the one clamp, it holds really well with the Oak on cast iron. BTW I have filled the ribbing in the bottom by gluing in blocks of wood so clamping is easy.

Lee, the problem with wood pushing away from the blade that is troublesome is when strain is released and the kerf opens up as it leaves the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The piece pulling away from your fence after the cut is an indication that your table and fence is not aligned with the blade. If you have never aligned your table and fence to the blade you won't believe the difference it makes. How to align your Band Saw.
    This is also common when a through cut releases tension within the board.

A point fence allows a steady hand "wiggle room" to guide the board through.

FYI - I use a traditional fixed fence.