Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base Cabinet for Tool Chest (Dutch)?

Base Cabinet for Tool Chest (Dutch)?

My (Dutch) tool chest is on the floor. This is not very good for getting things out of the bottom storage compartment. As that bottom compartment is full of metal planes... almost too heavy to lift for me to get it up on the sawbenches for a more comfortable reach. Also, then I find I need the sawbenches for... sawing.
    The top compartment is fine to access from the floor.
    2020-09-11 16.59.40.jpg

I see Mr. Schwarz built a thematically similar base cabinet for his. However, my needs are different, and I want to have a bank of drawers or compartments. (Maybe I would still do the fall front?)
    https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...-storage-unit/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo (1:10 sec into the video)

I dug out a set of rolling tool cabinet plans from Veritas I bought ages ago. Other than being made of wood, it was essentially redundant to my Craftsman metal rolling tool cabinet, so the plans laid dormant. Now I fished them out for another look. (I now have too many hand tools, and I want them all to be with the Dutch tool chest). I've decided I want to have many 1-3/4" high drawers, as the deeper drawers on my Craftsman (2-1/2" and bigger) are wasteful of space. To get more tools in, I have to stack them which I don't really like doing. Modifying the Vertias plan to have more shallower drawers is no big deal...
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...n?item=05L1701

...but the Veritas plan makes very heavy use of plywood sheets. I don't want to use plywood, so kind of back to the drawing board if I'm going to do something with solid wood only. The Schwarz bottom cabinet is built like the dutch tool chest with side/top panel grain parallel, but back is opposite (but nailed in place tongue and groove smaller boards as the back to keep things from splitting. But the Schwarz one doesn't have a carcase for drawers... the rails would have to have grain running vertically, as are the case sides so... wondering if that should be fine from a wood movement perspective, right? (Seems obvious it should be OK, but I'm in new design territory here. In the past, I'd have just used plywood).

I'd like the drawers to be pretty gapless so as to minimize dust & moisture entry. The fall front 'a la Schwarz could accomplish this however.
    A drawer bank behind a fall front could look like one here (about halfway down, by Lance Shields): https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...hests-readers/

Any suggestions/tips? Anyone have links to plans for solid wood tool cabinets you've bookmarked for something like this application? I'm not married to the look & feel of the Dutch chest, but I kind of like things to match... so maybe. Regardless I'll paint it blue!
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 09-12-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Erich, I would think that you could use the LV plans and exchange frame and panel units where plywood is used. Maybe M&T together some style and rail frames for the two cabinet ends, add in a 1/4" groove around the inside of the frames and fill them in with panels that can expand and contract within the grooves. Use the inside surfaces of the end frame styles for interior dados/sliding dovetails/etc. to install your horizontal drawer dividers (blades). If your cabinet design appears to be too deep for just single points of blade support at the front and rear of the style only, add in a center style on your end frames and use two separate panels. Perhaps create the two ends in that fashion and then use a post (the outer styles of the end frame and style panel) and panel approach for the back and bottom of the cabinet. Close fitting drawers to follow to minimize dust intrusion.
    David

Here’s what I made out of poplar. Frame and panel sides, the back is tongue and groove boards screwed on. The bottom is another frame and panel set into shallow dadoes in the stiles of the side panels. I also put stub tenons on the bottom cross-pieces to give them a little more material in the stiles of the side panels. The top rails are dovetailed into the top of the stiles. The side panels are solid poplar, but if you aren’t opposed to a little plywood, it probably would be quicker and easier to use plywood for the panels and still consider it really well made.

you could make something like this with a bunch of banks of drawers. I like having a couple rows of drawers and the space at the bottom for odds and ends.

BC49F54E-4E31-4DAF-BB10-FA8A2C4D28D2.jpg

edit: I just realized this is a base for a Dutch tool chest, so you’ll want it to be pretty low, right? I imagine the top of your tool chest would get awkward to access if it is too high.
    Last edited by Ben Ellenberger; 09-11-2020 at 7:16 PM.

Now I’m just throwing out ideas. Why not make the carcass like Chris Schwartz’s design? Just a dovetailed box. Make a frame and panel, for the back, then set drawers into it instead of having one big opening. If it is just a piece of shop furniture, I don’t think you’d need a fall front or anything fancy to keep dust out.

Blog Entries
    Fine Woodworking's Mike Pekovich made a wheeled stand for his. A wheeled base sounds like a good idea for that type of tool box.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    Here’s what I made out of poplar. Frame and panel sides, the back is tongue and groove boards screwed on. The bottom is another frame and panel set into shallow dadoes in the stiles of the side panels...
    Very cool. Thanks for the info and reference photo. (And I like the color).

edit: I just realized this is a base for a Dutch tool chest, so you’ll want it to be pretty low, right? I imagine the top of your tool chest would get awkward to access if it is too high.
    That is a good point. The one C. Schwarz built is only 12" high or so. That seems way too low to me. I'll have to play with how high I can get it. But with the sloped top compartment, I suspect I can get it reasonably high and still be good to go. I'll have to put it up on different height mock ups to see what will work.
    It is possible that I won't be able to get it as high as I was first envisioning (like 2'-6" or so).

if you aren’t opposed to a little plywood, it probably would be quicker and easier to use plywood for the panels and still consider it really well made.
    Actually, I'm trying to live my life as plywood free as possible. I just don't like working with it anymore. Aside from shop jigs I'd pretty much like to banish it from my work.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Fine Woodworking's Mike Pekovich made a wheeled stand for his. A wheeled base sounds like a good idea for that type of tool box.

I'll be googling for that shortly.

It seems like whenever I get a splinter in a hand somewhere, it comes from handling plywood.
    David

When the Dutch tool chest was revived a number of years ago, I built a chest and a base for it out of poplar. The base has a tongue and groove back. Rather than attach wheels to the base, I use a furniture dolly. I agree that the chest without a base is not desireable. I use the base to store tools I use less often, such as tongue and groove planes What the base does is get the actual tool chest up to a desireable medium height that its top access requires. The whole assembly stores an impressive amount of stuff.

The only down side of using solid wood is that the removeable front panel of the base experiences seasonal wood movement. Its loose in the winter and so tight in the summer that I have to pry it open. Also, the battens that hold the base front panel in place are a bit of a nuisance.

I should also add that wood tool chests are quite heavy when loaded. Mine have been moved once: when I moved to a different home.

I'm not opposed to plywood, as long as it's good stuff. Lately, any cabinetry I make is with Baltic Birch plywood. Pound for pound, it's stronger and will outlast ordinary wood construction.

Not for nothin' - does it bear mentioning that you should move the tool chest when it's empty?

I built mine slightly tall to accomodate some drawers inside. Its on casters and a little tippy. I wish it was a little deeper.

I will say the sloped top is the most genius part, otherwise I'd pile crap on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I will say the sloped top is the most genius part, otherwise I'd pile crap on top of it.
    No doubt. I still drape my shooting plane "sock" on it. But I don't think that much counts. Literally everything else horizontal has stuff (that shouldn't be there) on it. Like.... the table saw.

My tool chest is ~25" tall. ~27" wide, and ~13" deep.
    The C. Schwarz plan for a base cabinet at only 12" tall seems far to low to me. I've experimented by putting the chest on the bench (too high 34"), on sawhorses (a bit low at 20"). Then at about 25" off the floor with stack of wood on the sawhorses.

About 25" from floor to bottom of chest feels like it would be a good compromise between easy access to the top compartment and not having to stoop too low for the bottom compartment.

Big Question:
    The C. Schwarz base cabinet is exactly the length/depth of the dutch tool chest. I'm wondering if I make the base cabinet (LxWxH) 27" x 13" x 25", will it be too unstable and "tippy" front to back?
    The last thing I want is for it all to tip over and come crashing down.

Any rules of thumb for how wide (deep) to make the cabinet? It would be nice if they matched, but if I need to go wider for stability I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I built mine slightly tall to accommodate some drawers inside. Its on casters and a little tippy. I wish it was a little deeper.
    Here I am returning to this project.
    What dimensions did you make your base cabinet. Tippiness is something I'd like to avoid.