Thread: Antique store today

Antique store today

Stopped at my favorite antique store tonight. Glad I did. I found a wooden mortise gauge. Master mechanic it's marked, which is a brand from menards back in the day I think. Found 2 pairs of dividers, a rusty square, and then the piece de resistance, a Stanley 98 mortice gauge with all the parts and an old English logo.

The gentleman told me to make him an offer and I didn't know what to offer and he wouldn't give me a starting point so I said $20, he told me $25, I hesitated, and then he told me because I bought ao much stuff from him that he would do $20.

I don't know how much this stuff usually goes for in a retail setting, but I am assuming $4 a piece isn't bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Buresh; 09-11-2020 at 11:00 PM.

I would think an antique store would have the highest prices. Looks like the lot would be worth a lot more.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good haul Jason. It is always a good idea to have a few pairs of dividers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    I would think an antique store would have the highest prices. Looks like the lot would be worth a lot more.
    Antique stores can be all over the map on pricing. Some simply double their cost and other seem to think no matter how many parts are missing or rusty an item may be it deserves NOS ebay prices.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think you did well. The small dividers look like Osbourne. They would be stamped on the leg by the hinge. The large ones look familiar, pexto?

https://www.csosborne.com/

Stan

Stan,

They are both marked T.H. Witherby

I think you did fine. I would have paid $20 for that batch.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Stan,

They are both marked T.H. Witherby
    Interesting. Did not know Witherby made any dividers. Familiar with chisels .

I didn't know that Witherby made dividers. I did find them in the 1918 catalog, listed as "no spring "
    I had them backwards, the hinge PEXTO used was open and could pinch your palm. The Osbournes were closed.

These were my Dad's.
    Attached Images Attached Images