Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help evaluate my bandsaw options please

Question Help evaluate my bandsaw options please

Background: I'm currently about to begin construction of a 32' x 40' (I think) hobby shop / lumber drying building. I'm strictly a hobbyist at this point, but I'm planning to work towards some small scale sawing, drying and milling of specialty woods for sale to crafters.

The current issue is: I have a 12" band saw from my father that I don't love. Plastic everything and the band jumps off the wheels with any pressure at all. Most importantly, the maximum thickness it can cut is only about 5.5" and I want to be able to resaw and slice up small logs. As a result, I've been looking for an upgrade at a reasonable price for a while. (I like old iron) Yesterday I found an auction with two saws and was bidding on both, hoping to win one of them; and of course as these things happen, I won them both. Now I have to decide what to keep.

Saw 1: Rockwell 28-200. Picked it up for $235.Rockwell b.jpgRockwell a.jpgRockwell d.jpgRockwell c.jpg
    If I were to keep Saw 1, I'd probably need to replace the table (which looks to have a broken bracket) and find a riser kit.

Saw 2: Delta Model 20 Vertical Band Saw. Picked up for $500. Delta 20 a.jpgDelta b.jpgDelta c.jpg
    This is 3 phase I believe, so I will need either a single phase motor or a rotary converter cause 3 phase power isn't available. It's also MUCH heavier and obviously bigger in general.

Options:
    1. Keep Saw 1 and sell Saw 2. Given the prices I see the Delta Model 20 listed for, I'd hope I could even clear a profit here, which would pay for repairs to the Rockwell.
    2. Keep saw 2 and sell Saw 1. I don't think I would get much more than what I paid for the Rockwell unless I got lucky. Unless of course it cleans up amazingly.
    3. Sell both saws because there's something else I really should have been looking for.

P.S. I'm also open to any comments about things to look out for on the saws I ended up with, problem areas to watch or great improvements I could make.

Personally, I would cross the first one off my list due to that table situation. Looks like solid PVC sheet? Not sure how you would put a fence on it. Also, not a fan of riser blocks. Let us know what you end up doing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

All other things being equal (power) I'd keep the larger of the two. I rarely think "wow, I wish I had a smaller bandsaw".
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The original table is still there under the plastic, but I'm uncertain what kind of condition it's in. Overall, the saw doesn't look like it's been kicked around too bad, so I'm optimistic.

I would keep saw #2 but take that with a grain of salt since I have 2 band saws. A bigger MiniMax S400 and an Old 14 inch Delta.

That Rockwell could also have a bent top wheel tracking hinge. Very common if the blade was over tensioned. I would not want a 14" saw for cutting logs. But I've seen guys on the internet describe a 6" branch as a log. You'll need a machine that will properly tension a 3/4" blade for that. Curious method you have there for buying machinery. Spending $725 and then asking for help on making a decision.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 09-11-2020 at 5:14 PM.

Bring them home,figure out what needs fixing. And then keep them both . Pretty good combination of two saws. I would not put a riser block in the 14'',waste of time and effort. Those saws are real good for 1/4'' ,3/8'' blades and curves and smaller or finesse type work.

Do you have three phase power in your shop?

Professional wiring (to maintain your homeowners coverage)
    or a converter will not come cheap.

The 20" Delta would be a much better fit for the resawing you want to do. Just get a VFD to power it off of single-phase power. The Teco FM50 is one option that's used in applications like this. The 14" saw wouldn't be bad to keep as well and put a narrower (3/16" or 1/4") blade on it.

No three phase, but you can get a functional converter for about $100.

I use a 14" with a 3/4" blade for resawing hardwoods without any issues; no riser block though.

I've used a VFD for years with my Oliver. Very good solution.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

and I want to be able to resaw and slice up small logs.
    If this is your goal, then the choice is clear.

And it ain't a saw with a busted table.

I would sell them both and get a small / medium sized band saw mill if your goal is to saw logs. No woodworking bandsaw is really optimized to saw logs, even small ones and it’s much more time consuming and cumbersome to move a log through a stationary blade over a relatively small table (without purpose built infeed and outfeed support...but you still have to lift and push the log through) compared to a band mill with a head/blade that rises on a rolling carriage to saw the log that is securely clamped down to a flat bed.

If you want to do smaller, more woodworking / furniture scaled work on a bandsaw, then I would evaluate the condition of the 20” Delta. If it wasn’t a basket case and didn’t need too much, I’d buy a VFD and go to town, but to expect it to saw logs is asking too much. Just my opinion.
    Still waters run deep.

Honestly...I’m not sure either would be appropriate for your stated goal, but clearly the larger one is the only practical choice of the two you now own. Sawing even “small logs” and the likes isn’t a great job for a bandsaw designed primarily for dry lumber. Different stresses; different band requirements; need for lubrication to help cool the blade so It doesn’t dull prematurely, etc. at some point you’re going to want at least a small horizontal band mill to do the job of breaking things down from rough for your stated purposes and a heavier saw for re-sawing dry lumber to crafting dimensions
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...