Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help evaluate my bandsaw options please

I also have 20" saw and love it,I think that it will get you by for what you want for little while.But as a money maker I don't think its going to work for ya.When you do cross that line I would think that maybe one of those horizontal wood band saws be better suited for your purpose. I always wanted one for my own veneering but that dream never came true.

I get the feeling it doesnt change the opinons much, but just for the sake of clarity, the kind of "sawing logs" Im looking at doing is the 2'-4' chunks of 4"-10" stuff that won't go on most sawmills. I like grabbing the trunks of the smaller decorative trees that people usually just throw away. Some of that wood is awesome for various types of projects, but isnt commercially available because the trees arent prolific.

Things like: Dogwood, Mulberry, Buckthorn, Black Locust, Catalpa, Apple.

Here is an example of one I got lucky on. This was a 7" branch of maple I scavenged and had a friend cut up for me.20200502_162200.jpg67
    Last edited by Erik Litts; 09-12-2020 at 4:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Litts View Post
    I get the feeling it doesnt change the opinons much, but just for the sake of clarity, the kind of "sawing logs" Im looking at doing is the 2'-4' chunks of 4"-10" stuff that won't go on most sawmills. I like grabbing the trunks of the smaller decorative trees that people usually just throw away. Some of that wood is awesome for various types of projects, but isnt commercially available because the trees arent prolific.

Things like: Dogwood, Mulberry, Buckthorn, Black Locust, Catalpa, Apple.

Here is an example of one I got lucky on. This was a 7" branch of maple I scavenged and had a friend cut up for me.
    Convert the 14" to this. Then the broken trunion makes no difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpI-NMNUQwI

If you have space, why not keep both? Put a 1/4 blade on the smaller one and use it for tight turns and smaller stock. Put a resaw blade, 3/4 or wider, on the big one. Besides the small logs you want to cut up, it will be useful for cutting tenons and even doing rip cuts. Any straight cut.

I have the 20" Delta from the later Taiwan years and it's a well made machine. The design is based off the SCM saws as much of the industrial Delta machinery was originally built by them. Then the fabrication moved to Brazil, then Taiwan, but the quality is still much better than a lot of whats out there new. Yours may be a Brazil model?? The biggest difference I see between these saws and a new SCM is the re-saw height has been improved greatly, and the motors are larger, the rest of the build looks pretty much the same.
    For re-sawing I run a 1" Lenox bi-metal blade that does a decent job sawing and has a pretty long lifespan. You can get blades with better cut quality, but then the lifespan is often much shorter.

good luck,
    JeffD

What is the resaw height on that Delta?

If you want to be able to process logs up to 10" in diameter, I would want some extra clearance there, just in case, so at least 12" if not 14" of resaw height would be nice to give you some options. Having a nice large table is also convenient for processing logs on the bandsaw.

I have a Laguna 18 BX, and I've done a good amount of milling on it. I think it is great overall for the stated capacity with a resaw height of 16". It has a good sized table, so I can screw the log onto a jig that rides along the fence for straightish cuts (no, they won't be perfectly flat, you can run them on a jointer for that fine tuning). If the log is really green, I use the greenwood cutting blade from timberwolf, but it is only 1/2", they do have a wider one that I haven't tried yet. I also have a log crosscut sled that I use for cutting off the ends and squaring them up on the logs - it is best practice to have something to prevent the logs from rolling on the table (there are some pretty scary youtube videos of this happening, and it has happened to me once, so I am much more careful now), and with the crosscut sled on the bandsaw table, I sometimes use my entire resaw height to clear the top of the log on top of the sled (that sounded confusing, but does it make sense?).

If the log is somewhat dried, then I'll use a 1 inch timberwolf blade, and if the log is fairly clean, dry, and easy to handle, then I'll just use my 1.25" resaw king, as it can cut straight a lot easier than the other blades.

You can also cut the log into a cant first, and then use a featherboard to help make better cuts (I use the bow guidepro, and I think it is the best commercially available resaw featherboard for the bandsaw).

For the resaw height, I consider the Laguna 18 BX to actually be one of the best values. If you need more resaw height, there is a nice Rikon that has 19" of resaw height, but it is closer to $3k, if I remember correctly.

All that to say, it feels like you would have to make some significant compromises to get either of those saws to try to do what you want them to do. See if you can resell them as-is, or fix them up and sell them for possibly more, and then buy a bandsaw that fits exactly what you want to be able to do (maybe get something that can do a bit more, just in case).

This does depend on your budget though. If you needed to fix up one or both of the saws that you bought, how much do you have budgeted for that? What would your total cost be, and what is the most that you want to spend on this?

Well, I finally got out to look at both saws. They decided to leave the 14" outside , so of course every bit of exposed metal is covered in rust. Not a huge issue, but its really annoying when they have plenty of inside storage space. Both of the trunnions are broken, along with one of the 2 guides. That said, everything inside seems to be moving smoothly.

The 20" is a different version than what I thought. I thought it was a 28-340 but it is actually a 28-654. Though I havent really looked to figure out all the differences. I still can't tell for sure if itthe motor works because I dont have 3 phase power, but it looks like the saw is in near percect shape other than being dirty and covered in metal shavings. It was badged as having been from Haworth furniture, and if they were the last owner, Im certain it was well maintained. I think the 20" is definitely what I'm gonna have to go with. I will have to look at whether it makes more sense to sell the 14" or hang onto it for later use in some way. If I happened to find someone willing to give me at least as much as I spent, selling it is probably the right choice, but if I'd take a loss, I'll hang onto it.