Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bench Move

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    I envy the space that you have to be able to have as many fine looking benches that you do. I'm relegated to a 12x18 shed that I bought and converted into my shop after I retired from the school system. Just curious, what brand of Japanese bench chisels are the ones you have showing.

Orlando,

I'm terrible on names, most are just the ones from Stan https://covingtonandsons.com .

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    DAMHIKT - but Charcot is not a disease to be trifled with. Now tthat your arch is collapsed you will be in a CROW (Charcot Restraint Orthotic Walker) boot for a while up to forever. My Doc gave me the choice, wear the boot or lose the leg. Once your arch has collapsed the usual next step is an ulcer under the "arch" which leads to infection which leads to more NWB which can lead to leg loss. DO WHAT THE DOC SAYS!
    o
    Had rocker foot and a custom brace when this happened.
    First sign of trouble was broken blister under the callous on bottom of foot. Went to doctor, he found the ulcer with a hole about 3/8" deep. Got fitted for the CROW boot, the ulcer got smaller however stayed just as deep. Got an MRI and Radiologist thought bone was infected. So went in hospital for Iv and surgery for bone removal for testing Results came back negative. So then had surgery to rebuild foot, install external fixator. Now none weight bearing for six weeks, then hopefully slow transition to walking with some type of support less than a CROW boot for work.
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 09-14-2020 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling, tablet is smarter than me

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I may hold off until at least one bench is gone and hopefully two.
    Ken, just curious, do you sell the benches? Do you build one style, or different types, just to try them all?

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Ken, just curious, do you sell the benches? Do you build one style, or different types, just to try them all?
    Erich, where you been? Ken builds Moravian style workbenches. I'd suggest he's Will Myers #1 fan, disciple even. IIRC- he's sold them, given one to his wife to upgrade their potting bench, and tried to build one as a kitchen table. He recently mentioned a non-Moravian is available if you fetch & lift.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Erich, where you been? Ken builds Moravian style workbenches. I'd suggest he's Will Myers #1 fan, disciple even. IIRC- he's sold them, given one to his wife to upgrade their potting bench, and tried to build one as a kitchen table. He recently mentioned a non-Moravian is available if you fetch & lift.
    LOL, I'm still new enough here that I'd only gleaned that Ken likes to build benches and hates sharpening jigs. More specific escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Hey David, did build one as a kitchen table .

ken

I don't like this thread Ken. I sat in my shop this weekend and thought "yea, I can put another bench right over there."
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I don't like this thread Ken. I sat in my shop this weekend and thought "yea, I can put another bench right over there."
    Mike,

Too funny, but do it. Glad to help if you need any.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Mike,

Too funny, but do it. Glad to help if you need any.

ken
    Well, the reality is that I've wanted a new bench. There are things I do not like about my existing one (isn't that they way they say it goes?).. so time for a new one. What it did do was make me think that I can push the existing one against the wall and use that for sharpening and/or other detail hand work.. and put a larger, simpler, bench out in the center of the floor, and not lose space. When that can happen? Donno, I have to finish getting the walls insulated and covered, and insulate the roof better first.

I may take you up on that when I get to it, at least I have beams that I can use to attach a hoist if needed.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

A follow up post:

The move is more or less completed. Here's a pre-move photo:

IMG_0152.jpg

A few post-move photos:

currentShop.jpg

Another:

currentShopA.jpg

And another:

currentShopB.jpg

Last one:

currentShopC.jpg

For once the moving was worthwhile, there is a significant increase of usable work space. I also think because the benches now face each other it will be more efficient.

Thanks guys,

ken

Ken, that's a big improvement!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Did I count three benches?
    Oden's Beard Ken, now I have shop envy too! Is that all in a 2 car garage?

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Ken, that's a big improvement!
    Mike,

I haven't really worked in it yet, but it really feels good. The wood on the bench are the blanks for MsBubba's kitchen trash can. I'm off tomorrow and will start that build. Once I've made something I'll have a better handle on if it works, but I expect it will.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Did I count three benches?
    Oden's Beard Ken, now I have shop envy too! Is that all in a 2 car garage?
    Erich,

LOL. Yep, small two car garage and you missed a couple of benches . There are four Moravian benches, one is a dissembled portable bench I use with the Motorhome and around the house and back garden that is stacked in a corner, the sharpening bench and the two working benches. There is also a Roubo with timber stored on it along one wall. As I've posted I'm queer for building benches.

ken

Nice, Ken. It definitely appears to have opened up some floor space and with multiple benches, I don’t think you’ll miss working both sides of the bench that is now against the wall. I noticed the shave horse. I always struggle with certain things that just aren’t used that often (although very glad I have it when needed) but take up enough space to be bothersome, or always needing to be moved out of the way.

Look forward to your thoughts once you work in it.

Also, and please take this as only a fellow SMC’er concern for you; you may want to evaluate your cord management and load levels. My store was recently inspected by the fire marshall, and he pointed out a number of corrections as it comes to load levels on power strips, what should and shouldn’t be plugged into a power strip, knowing the capacity of a power strip and how many amps are plugged into it, etc. I’m not suggesting you’re at risk anywhere, just that I’ve become much more aware now about how I load up circuits and outlets.