Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bench Move

Blog Entries
    I have finally accepted the quest for more "room" in a finite space to be part of the journey. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made. We have two refrigerators; my wife insists she cannot live without the second one. I made it through my entire life with just one. Do you really need both benches? Would a wheeled, height adjustable assembly table serve you better. My assembly table also serves as my tablesaw outfeed surface when not in use for assembly thereby maximizing the value of its footprint.

For you Galoots, a tablesaw is a machine powered by electricity that saws things quickly when time spent on a project is important . What I am saying is that I have had to make tough choices about what is more important; having tools or being able to use them .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Those of us who work alone most of the time find it difficult to ask for help. I think there are two issues involved. One is inpatients, the other is wasting someone else’s time. We just want to keep working and searching out assistance takes time. You have to wait for help and then you have to spend time explaining your whole project and having coffee and so forth. All you want is progress. The other part is you have the helper make a trip to your shop, drive across town or whatever for 2 minutes to help you lift something to your bench. Instead you strain your back or invent a lifting fixture that takes a couple of hours. If this is you, raise your hand. You’ve reached senior citizenship.🤪

You hit the nail on the head with that one James. And I'm sure that some of my invented lifting techniques have been rather bizarre and frightening to the uninitiated.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have finally accepted the quest for more "room" in a finite space to be part of the journey. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made. We have two refrigerators; my wife insists she cannot live without the second one. I made it through my entire life with just one. Do you really need both benches? Would a wheeled, height adjustable assembly table serve you better. My assembly table also serves as my tablesaw outfeed surface when not in use for assembly thereby maximizing the value of its footprint.

For you Galoots, a tablesaw is a machine powered by electricity that saws things quickly when time spent on a project is important . What I am saying is that I have had to make tough choices about what is more important; having tools or being able to use them .
    Glenn,

I no longer use a table saw, still have one shoved into a corner but seldom use it. The only reason it is still around is I would almost have to pay someone to haul it off and someday (never happen) I might decide to make something out of sheet goods. Being a pure amateur there ain't no way no how this country boy will wrestle a 4X8 hunk of plywood ever again. BTW, BTDT and had a assembly table to go with it.

The reason for so many benches is I like to build benches, and I do until I run out of room to build another. One of my thoughts before I started shoving things around in the shop was to take the bench apart and store it in a corner along side the portable bench. The frightening thing about moving the benches around, once they were set my first thought was "hey, there is room to build a bench now". It is a sickness, what can I say.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Those of us who work alone most of the time find it difficult to ask for help. I think there are two issues involved. One is inpatients, the other is wasting someone else’s time. We just want to keep working and searching out assistance takes time. You have to wait for help and then you have to spend time explaining your whole project and having coffee and so forth. All you want is progress. The other part is you have the helper make a trip to your shop, drive across town or whatever for 2 minutes to help you lift something to your bench. Instead you strain your back or invent a lifting fixture that takes a couple of hours. If this is you, raise your hand. You’ve reached senior citizenship.浪
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    You hit the nail on the head with that one James. And I'm sure that some of my invented lifting techniques have been rather bizarre and frightening to the uninitiated.
    James,

I agree with David, what you say is too true. While I like some show and tell in the shop a little goes a long way and mostly I just want to get on with the rat killing. And I hate to impose, happy to help anyone but have a hard time accepting help. It's just the cowboy way.

ken

I'm really pleased with the new shop organization. There is a lot more working room, I'm still putting wall shelves up. For now the old ones are going back up until I can find time to make nice ones, of course I've been telling myself that for 10 or so years and I expect the cobbled together wall cabinets will still be in use in another ten years.

A photo of the bench in its new position:

newBenchPosition.jpg

I need to move the sharpening bench 200 to 300mm to the right so I can hang the old tool shelves/cabinet up. After that some really hard nose culling of scrap, it is close to nightly fire season anyway, followed by general straightening up and cleaning of the shop.

ken

Sounds like the SIL isn't getting a bench.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    The reason for so many benches is I like to build benches, and I do until I run out of room to build another. One of my thoughts before I started shoving things around in the shop was to take the bench apart and store it in a corner along side the portable bench. The frightening thing about moving the benches around, once they were set my first thought was "hey, there is room to build a bench now". It is a sickness, what can I say.
    There's no cure and that's OK. I once had a shop wall full of wall cabinets because I couldn't stop making them and they weren't selling that fast. I even gave one away. We do this for enjoyment and if making benches is your thing, maybe contact some local "makers" co-ops or other location that would love a "real" bench. You could make them and donate them . . . win, win ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Sounds like the SIL isn't getting a bench.
    Clifford,

If he shows up with his truck and ready to lift, I'll still give him the Roubo/English bench (French style base with a English style apron and metal QR vise). There is nothing wrong with the bench, it is a good bench but much too heavy and big and I would love to get it out of the shop.

ken

Almost everything is in its final place, just a ton of clean up to do plus going thru all the cutoffs and moving most to the fire pit. For once rearranging the deck chairs has done something other than rearrange the deck chairs. I've opened up a ton of workspace with very little if any loss of bench space. I reserve the right to change my mind but I like it.

benchMoveFinish.jpg

ken

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Those of us who work alone most of the time find it difficult to ask for help. I think there are two issues involved. One is inpatients, the other is wasting someone else’s time. We just want to keep working and searching out assistance takes time. You have to wait for help and then you have to spend time explaining your whole project and having coffee and so forth. All you want is progress. The other part is you have the helper make a trip to your shop, drive across town or whatever for 2 minutes to help you lift something to your bench. Instead you strain your back or invent a lifting fixture that takes a couple of hours. If this is you, raise your hand. You’ve reached senior citizenship.浪
    So, true. Still working a full time job moved a Genie lift,34',back in June, didn't wait for help. Now off work til next year. Have severe nuerophy in my feet due to diabetes. Broke some/all bones in arch of right foot never felt a thing. Do have Charco foot disease. Have a halo/ external fixatator on foot since week ago Friday. Hope to get it off in 6 weeks. Then splint, while probably non weight bearing until custom brace is made. Might get down to the shop by Halloween.
    SHOULD HAVE WAITED ON HELP
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    So, true. Still working a full time job moved a Genie lift,34',back in June, didn't wait for help. Now off work til next year. Have severe nuerophy in my feet due to diabetes. Broke some/all bones in arch of right foot never felt a thing. Do have Charco foot disease. Have a halo/ external fixatator on foot since week ago Friday. Hope to get it off in 6 weeks. Then splint, while probably non weight bearing until custom brace is made. Might get down to the shop by Halloween.
    SHOULD HAVE WAITED ON HELP
    Ron
    DAMHIKT - but Charcot is not a disease to be trifled with. Now tthat your arch is collapsed you will be in a CROW (Charcot Restraint Orthotic Walker) boot for a while up to forever. My Doc gave me the choice, wear the boot or lose the leg. Once your arch has collapsed the usual next step is an ulcer under the "arch" which leads to infection which leads to more NWB which can lead to leg loss. DO WHAT THE DOC SAYS!
    o

Ken,

Looks like your goal of making more actual work space was realized. Now....can you resist building another bench to fill up the space?!

Regards,

Stew

I envy the space that you have to be able to have as many fine looking benches that you do. I'm relegated to a 12x18 shed that I bought and converted into my shop after I retired from the school system. Just curious, what brand of Japanese bench chisels are the ones you have showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

Looks like your goal of making more actual work space was realized. Now....can you resist building another bench to fill up the space?!

Regards,

Stew
    Stew,

I hate to admit that is a open question. I have a bench in mind and have the hardware to build on a shelf. It will be hard to resist. But the open space is really nice, I may hold off until at least one bench is gone and hopefully two.

ken