Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: never going to the dealership again

I’ve used an independent mechanic from the day my 2006 BMW went out of warranty. As luck would have it, he was one of the chief mechanics at a nearby BMW dealership. He told me about the “scare sheet”, the list of things they recommend that supposedly need repair whenever one brings a car in for service. Lots of people fall for it. He got fed up with that bs and decided to open his own shop, servicing BMWs and Mercedes exclusively. The guy is totally honest and often doesn’t charge for labor when the fix is easy, and I usually get my car back the same day.

My sister owned a Volvo, and used an independent shop. Shop only used genuine Volvo parts. Her car needed an oil seal, $58.00 from Volvo, with a two week wait time. Looked it up at National Oil Seal, and it was less than three bucks. She went to shop and said order the National Oil Seal. She finally figured that the shop was ripping customers off on parts that are generic in nature. An oil seal, and a bearing are generic parts, IMHO!

Lady I worked with had a car she spent a few thousand total over many visits at the dealer trying to fix a problem with it stalling.
    She got sick of it and sold it to my brother. My brother one Saturday called a local radio show where you could call in and ask auto repair questions. The host was an owner of a auto repair shop. My brother gave him the details and the host said. " we get that model in all the time with that problem" A screwdriver and a $75 part later problem solved.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'm never going to the dealer again.

I bought a special on oil changes $200 for 4 oil changes. It was a good deal because my car needed 7 quarts of synthetic.
    1st Oil change - They inflated all 4 tires to 48psi. I of course noticed it and fixed that problem.
    2nd Oil change - They thought they'd be nice and give the car a quick wash without asking. Used a degreaser on the front that stained the front paint. I had to use a heavy cut and polish to get rid of it.
    3rd oil change - They pushed on the bottom pan so hard they busted the power steering cooler. (In their defense, it was relocated lower than normal for the supercharger intercooler)
    4th and final time - I had a lapse in judgement and had them do a transmission fluid change. This one was the nail on the coffin. I noticed that the car was shifting sluggish on the way home. Now on the chrysler 300 there's no way I normal person can check the transmission fluid level. I, on the other hand, am not your normal person. I have the tool to check the fluid level and the computer software to read the car's computer to get the temperature of the fluid. You use a chart and the fluid level is determined by the temp of the fluid. So when I checked the level it was 2 quarts overfilled.
    I immediately called the dealership and told them about it. I was told I didn't know what I was doing and how you can't check the fluid level, ect, ect, ect. I took it back in and sat in on the tech fixing the problem. He didn't even know how to check the transmission fluid level according to the service manual. He flat out told me he just guesses.
    I learned my lesson and went back to doing ALL of my car work again.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    I'm never going to the dealer again...

I, on the other hand, am not your normal person. I have the tool to check the fluid level and the computer software to read the car's computer to get the temperature of the fluid. You use a chart and the fluid level is determined by the temp of the fluid.
    I learned my lesson and went back to doing ALL of my car work again.
    I've got a feeling that pretty much all of SMC is 'not your normal person'!

Your post reminded me that with two 62TE Chrysler automatics at home I should break down and get one of those dipsticks (a CRY933). Wow- they're over $50. I wouldn't have guessed that a section of speedometer cable would be so expensive.

My daughter's car was in for an alignment yesterday and was told that the front suspension of her car needed expensive work. I just replaced the struts two days ago, there's nothing wrong. This wasn't a dealer.

She called me and asked what she should do. I'll let everyone's imagination fill in the rest.

-Tom

I’ve had better luck with the dealership than most independent shops but that’s clearly not the same experience for others. Use the resource that you are most comfortable with and that does the best job in your circumstances
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If that's all it took, then why didnt you just do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I’ve had better luck with the dealership than most independent shops but that’s clearly not the same experience for others. Use the resource that you are most comfortable with and that does the best job in your circumstances
    I would have thought the independent shops need the business to stay in business vs the large shops who repair under warranty and thus are more honest and conscientious but human nature is unpredictable.

I take my car into the dealer for an oil change. They do a full synthetic for $16.95.

They called and said I needed a new cabin filter. I said "The same cabin filter I just replaced last night?"

Years ago I had a Doge Dakota pick up. There was a recall something about steering coming loose, need new brackets welded on. I called the dealer to make an appointment. The kid who answered the phone in the service department said "My boss just purchased a welder and going to show us how to use it. It will be a few days till we can get you in"

I had a 1997 F150 v6 that had the hydro lock problem. Before I knew I had the problem, I would ask the service department at the dealer about it. They knew nothing about such problem. Walked out front to get in my truck and a salesman smoking said "Put a new engine it yet" Every time I go to auto parts store to buy filters etc they would ask If I put a new engine in it yet.
    I showed Symptoms of the problem they day I drove it off the lot new. I did not know better then but they just pushed me off till it was out of warranty. Ended up putting a new engine in it at my expense.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It's a broad paint brush indeed to say all dealers are dishonest or incompetent. Just as to say every independent is top notch. As has been stated there are good and bad in both. The other thing you overlooked is the infamous flat rate manual. Of course it's computerized today but many times the charge is the industry accepted labor rate. Everything is figured out by "experts". I have never worked as an auto mechanic but know plenty who have. The reality is someone is getting taken by the flat rate manual. Either the customer or the mechanic. Many good mechanics learn work around's to save time because time is money. If something returns because they din't do it right they are giving away their labor to fix it. The dealerships also take care of their good mechanics by giving the best jobs. There are of course those who specialize in transmissions or the electronics. Because oil changes are not highly technical jobs they tend to put beginners or less skilled on them. Just a reality. If a dealership damaged my vehicle in any manner I would be all over it. I had a dealership body shop get over spray on my vehicle through carelessness. They were able to buff it off but were prepared to repaint if needed. Many dealerships wash vehicles when they service them. If they damaged the finish through their actions they would be correcting it and not I. Living in a rural area there are limited options in both dealerships and independent repair shops. So the bad ones don't usually last. The other reality is I don't care how good the shop whether private or a dealer they will never please everyone. That's a fact proven here all to often. Instead of giving a company a chance to make something right they come here to air their grievances. Go to them first and see whether you can get a satisfactory resolution.

On the only vehicle I ever bought new, a 1992 F150 4X4 Flairside, been on the lot a year when I bought it, it was having a problem some years later with the instrument cluster not displaying anything and transmission would not shift, took it to the dealer & $700 later still same issue & was told it needed a new instrument cluster which was $500 & special order, took it to a shop recommended by the shop who rebuilt the tranny, $63 later found the problem, dirty connector for the speed sensor in the rear differential.

Ford

Owners

Recommend

Dodge
    Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 09-12-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Now for some fun. Daughter calls one day and says her battery is dead. So I grab an extra battery from shop and go to her rescue. Swap batteries, then crank car. Check alternator (under warranty) output, and there is none. So we head to local Autozone for a new (rebuilt, with lifetime warranty.) Customer service guy verifies that alternator is bad, so we get replacement, which I install. He also asks her how long she has had that battery, as it also may need replacement. She looks at him and says "About fifteen minutes, and if your alternator hadn't failed, I wouldn't have needed this battery." Shut him up QUICK! Wife owned an 82 Buick Skylark. Alternator had a leaking positive diode, which meant the alternator / battery light faintly glowed. Took it to dealer for service for another problem. Immediately they informer her she needed a new $400 alternator, as the battery would soon be dead as the light was on. Wife asked "How soon, as the light has been on for four years now?" For same Skylark, bought (under warranty) at starter at Advance Auto. Installed that night, and next morning drove to Savannah GA. Car wouldn't crank (starter.) Finally got it cranked and went to Advance. They had one starter in stock. Told clerk to hold it as we were going next door to eat and would be back. Left car running, locked the doors and ate dinner. Come back to Advance, and wait for end parking space to become available. Drove left front wheel onto curb,raising front of car. A customer said, "You can't drive," till he watched me crawl under elevated front and change starter in less than five minutes. Friend bought a car from State Surplus, with no oil pressure. Before he drove it off the lot, reached down and plugged oil pressure sending switch up. Now it had oil pressure. He had bid salvage price for car, so it was a sure enough deal. When I was in college, worked nights at local service station. One cold rainy night just before closing time get a call for a car that wouldn't crank, so I drive my truck over after work to "jump it." Lady says lights work, but it won't crank. Get in, press in clutch, and car immediately cranks. She had forgotten that her car had a safety switch on the clutch.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 09-13-2020 at 9:13 PM.