Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: had me some fun today

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Ken - no, the material in the background is for the 2 Morris chairs I'm working on. In the process of pre-finishing the parts before assembly. I actually have 3 projects going right now. Losing my job a couple of weeks ago was wonderful. All shop time now.
    Your Morris chairs: drop arm or bow arm?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Bill, I forgot to ask: no router for cleaning between the pins on these dovetails? Only saw and chisels?

Have the Makita battery one. It works great. I have a secondary piece I put in when routing. It has a relief so the bit can go full depth.

20200706_185337.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Hmmm, try setting foundation forms for a concrete "frost" wall.....in January in Ohio......when the rebar would stick to any bare skin.....then the next day, strip off said forms, smell the "green fog" of Form oil floating out......FUN..

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm, try setting foundation forms for a concrete "frost" wall.....in January in Ohio......when the rebar would stick to any bare skin.....then the next day, strip off said forms, smell the "green fog" of Form oil floating out......FUN..
    Been there - done that. Or walking the top plate of a 2 story house in the winter when you have to chip the ice off the plate with the BFH.

Your Morris chairs: drop arm or bow arm?

laminated bow arms. Almost done with the pre finishing so I can start to assemble the bases.

20200824_155558.jpg

Inspiring, Bill. What layer thickness did you use for the laminations, and how many layers in all?

Once all that work goes into making the form and buying all the clamps (!), the arms are the only bent parts, so the rest of the chair just depends on grain selection, robust thicknesses, and strong joinery. Will you miter up four-sided legs? That's another exacting step.

Good on ya to attempt a Morris chair! My wife and I are considering buying two for our living room.

Inspiring, Bill. What layer thickness did you use for the laminations, and how many layers in all?

Once all that work goes into making the form and buying all the clamps (!), the arms are the only bent parts, so the rest of the chair just depends on grain selection, robust thicknesses, and strong joinery. Will you miter up four-sided legs? That's another exacting step.

Good on ya to attempt a Morris chair! My wife and I are considering buying two for our living room.

Hey Bob - no mitered legs. I use a core and glue on resawn pieces to make the legs.

20200921_083343.jpg

For the arms I used 3 layers resawn to give me a 1" final piece.

20200921_083520(0).jpg

As for the clamps, I've been adding to the collection for a long time, since I started as a carpenter in the late 60's. Those 2 in the foreground with the yellow handles have to be at least 40 years old. One plus of gluing up the arms was that I had the LOML help me do the clamping, and when we were done she remarked that maybe I need more clamps.

One plus of gluing up the arms was that I had the LOML help me do the clamping, and when we were done she remarked that maybe I need more clamps. [/QUOTE]

Mission accomplished.