Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: had me some fun today

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    963

    had me some fun today

    Spent yesterday getting the boards prepped and then had all day to cut dovetails for 4 more revolving bookcases. Was just a load of fun. I need more days like this.

    20200910_160901.jpg 20200910_153746.jpg 20200910_172332.jpg

    Got to use most of my favorite tools except for the Bontz tenon saw.
    I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said
    but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

  2. #2
    Definitely looks like a good day!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    1,961
    I envy you Bill. Looks like you had an outstanding day. I just started a dovetailed carcase and promptly got a base line ever so slightly off square and a little too deep, leaving the tails overhanging the pin piece for marking more than I like. I put it down and came inside and started laying around in the AC reading books. I have gone out briefly the last 3-4 days to look at it and figure out the best fix for the situation. It has just cooled off some today, so maybe tomorrow I will take it up again.
    David

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    ...I put it down and came inside and started laying around in the AC reading books. I have gone out briefly the last 3-4 days to look at it and figure out the best fix for the situation. It has just cooled off some today, so maybe tomorrow I will take it up again.
    David, Do you not have AC in your shop? Yikes! My mini-split system is my favorite "power tool" by far! (And I may be out there most of tomorrow... Main house AC went out today, always on a weekend...)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    438
    Looks interesting Bill. Any pics of the revolving book cases previously built? I'm curious what this is.

  6. #6
    Bill,

    I'm bad about sneaking a peek. You have a pile of tenons behind your very nice dovetails, all part of the same build?

    ken

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    David, Do you not have AC in your shop? Yikes! My mini-split system is my favorite "power tool" by far! (And I may be out there most of tomorrow... Main house AC went out today, always on a weekend...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Looks interesting Bill. Any pics of the revolving book cases previously built? I'm curious what this is.

    Erich - my mini split is one of my favorites as well. Here's a pic of the one that we kept and use on our breakfast table. Not for books of course, but pretty handy for just the 2 of us. I think they were originally used to hold reference books at your desk. At least that's what my grandson uses his for.

    2020-03-29.jpg
    I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said
    but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,

    I'm bad about sneaking a peek. You have a pile of tenons behind your very nice dovetails, all part of the same build?

    ken
    Ken - no, the material in the background is for the 2 Morris chairs I'm working on. In the process of pre-finishing the parts before assembly. I actually have 3 projects going right now. Losing my job a couple of weeks ago was wonderful. All shop time now.
    I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said
    but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Ken - no, the material in the background is for the 2 Morris chairs I'm working on. In the process of pre-finishing the parts before assembly. I actually have 3 projects going right now. Losing my job a couple of weeks ago was wonderful. All shop time now.
    Bill,

    I understand, I was layed off for 5 months and just went back to work the first of Aug. It was a hard decision to go back because I found I really enjoyed retirement, prior I wasn't really sure as I had never once pass 16 years old not worked, it was just who I am. Found out I wasn't work and life could be really good without strapping a machine to my butt. Anyway making the decision to go back for a few more months to finish up a couple of things I wanted to do before retirement for real was a yes/no thing but I did and will work until sometime after the first of the year, if the suits don't piss me off too much. That's not a given either way.

    Good luck and enjoy your time, I'm sure you have earned it,

    ken

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    1,961
    No Erich, of course I don't have AC in my shop. Why not you ask? Because true men are meant to sweat in shops. It is in their genes, especially if their shops have no insulation in the walls and open ceilings. I have dealt with higher heats most if my life, so the temperature doesn't really matter that much. Humidity, however, sucks because it causes mucho sweat that drips past any number of headbands/sweat towels/rags/etc onto the project and metal tools. I confess that I have heard of the term "mini split" and that it originates somewhere from the air conditioning sector, but don't really know what it is. Can you loan me yours to try out so I can see if I want to hand in my real man card?
    David

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    No Erich, of course I don't have AC in my shop. Why not you ask? Because true men are meant to sweat in shops. It is in their genes, especially if their shops have no insulation in the walls and open ceilings. I have dealt with higher heats most if my life, so the temperature doesn't really matter that much. Humidity, however, sucks because it causes mucho sweat that drips past any number of headbands/sweat towels/rags/etc onto the project and metal tools. I confess that I have heard of the term "mini split" and that it originates somewhere from the air conditioning sector, but don't really know what it is. Can you loan me yours to try out so I can see if I want to hand in my real man card?
    Hear, hear. It's the Texan way . I agree, hot beats cold except for Monsoon.

    ken

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,
    .....

    Good luck and enjoy your time, I'm sure you have earned it,

    ken
    Thx Ken - I will. And I know what you mean - never been unemployed since I started working in 68. And after 2 weeks I'm being asked to come back. We'll see.
    As for the suits - good luck. They are a "special" breed.
    I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said
    but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    1,961
    Most especially the "HR" suits, they of the non-revenue producing crowd. Hope it works out for the best Bill.
    David

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Northeast WI
    Posts
    246
    Hot beats cold? I disagree. If I get cold I can just put some extra layers on.

    If I try to adjust my clothing for the heat then I would get arrested.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Hot beats cold? I disagree. If I get cold I can just put some extra layers on.

    If I try to adjust my clothing for the heat then I would get arrested.
    Jason,

    You sound like my wife and you are both wrong but don't tell her I said so. Having been a desert rat most of my life I know how to deal with heat in the desert. The Bedouins know what they are doing and they do do strip till arrested .

    ken

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •