Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: had me some fun today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

had me some fun today

Spent yesterday getting the boards prepped and then had all day to cut dovetails for 4 more revolving bookcases. Was just a load of fun. I need more days like this.

20200910_160901.jpg 20200910_153746.jpg 20200910_172332.jpg

Got to use most of my favorite tools except for the Bontz tenon saw.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Definitely looks like a good day!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I envy you Bill. Looks like you had an outstanding day. I just started a dovetailed carcase and promptly got a base line ever so slightly off square and a little too deep, leaving the tails overhanging the pin piece for marking more than I like. I put it down and came inside and started laying around in the AC reading books. I have gone out briefly the last 3-4 days to look at it and figure out the best fix for the situation. It has just cooled off some today, so maybe tomorrow I will take it up again.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    ...I put it down and came inside and started laying around in the AC reading books. I have gone out briefly the last 3-4 days to look at it and figure out the best fix for the situation. It has just cooled off some today, so maybe tomorrow I will take it up again.
    David, Do you not have AC in your shop? Yikes! My mini-split system is my favorite "power tool" by far! (And I may be out there most of tomorrow... Main house AC went out today, always on a weekend...)

Looks interesting Bill. Any pics of the revolving book cases previously built? I'm curious what this is.

Bill,

I'm bad about sneaking a peek. You have a pile of tenons behind your very nice dovetails, all part of the same build?

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,

I'm bad about sneaking a peek. You have a pile of tenons behind your very nice dovetails, all part of the same build?

ken
    Ken - no, the material in the background is for the 2 Morris chairs I'm working on. In the process of pre-finishing the parts before assembly. I actually have 3 projects going right now. Losing my job a couple of weeks ago was wonderful. All shop time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Ken - no, the material in the background is for the 2 Morris chairs I'm working on. In the process of pre-finishing the parts before assembly. I actually have 3 projects going right now. Losing my job a couple of weeks ago was wonderful. All shop time now.
    Bill,

I understand, I was layed off for 5 months and just went back to work the first of Aug. It was a hard decision to go back because I found I really enjoyed retirement, prior I wasn't really sure as I had never once pass 16 years old not worked, it was just who I am. Found out I wasn't work and life could be really good without strapping a machine to my butt. Anyway making the decision to go back for a few more months to finish up a couple of things I wanted to do before retirement for real was a yes/no thing but I did and will work until sometime after the first of the year, if the suits don't piss me off too much. That's not a given either way.

Good luck and enjoy your time, I'm sure you have earned it,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,

Good luck and enjoy your time, I'm sure you have earned it,

ken
    Thx Ken - I will. And I know what you mean - never been unemployed since I started working in 68. And after 2 weeks I'm being asked to come back. We'll see.
    As for the suits - good luck. They are a "special" breed.

Most especially the "HR" suits, they of the non-revenue producing crowd. Hope it works out for the best Bill.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Your Morris chairs: drop arm or bow arm?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Your Morris chairs: drop arm or bow arm?

laminated bow arms. Almost done with the pre finishing so I can start to assemble the bases.

20200824_155558.jpg

Inspiring, Bill. What layer thickness did you use for the laminations, and how many layers in all?

Once all that work goes into making the form and buying all the clamps (!), the arms are the only bent parts, so the rest of the chair just depends on grain selection, robust thicknesses, and strong joinery. Will you miter up four-sided legs? That's another exacting step.

Good on ya to attempt a Morris chair! My wife and I are considering buying two for our living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Inspiring, Bill. What layer thickness did you use for the laminations, and how many layers in all?

Once all that work goes into making the form and buying all the clamps (!), the arms are the only bent parts, so the rest of the chair just depends on grain selection, robust thicknesses, and strong joinery. Will you miter up four-sided legs? That's another exacting step.

Good on ya to attempt a Morris chair! My wife and I are considering buying two for our living room.

Hey Bob - no mitered legs. I use a core and glue on resawn pieces to make the legs.

20200921_083343.jpg

For the arms I used 3 layers resawn to give me a 1" final piece.

20200921_083520(0).jpg

As for the clamps, I've been adding to the collection for a long time, since I started as a carpenter in the late 60's. Those 2 in the foreground with the yellow handles have to be at least 40 years old. One plus of gluing up the arms was that I had the LOML help me do the clamping, and when we were done she remarked that maybe I need more clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    David, Do you not have AC in your shop? Yikes! My mini-split system is my favorite "power tool" by far! (And I may be out there most of tomorrow... Main house AC went out today, always on a weekend...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Looks interesting Bill. Any pics of the revolving book cases previously built? I'm curious what this is.

Erich - my mini split is one of my favorites as well. Here's a pic of the one that we kept and use on our breakfast table. Not for books of course, but pretty handy for just the 2 of us. I think they were originally used to hold reference books at your desk. At least that's what my grandson uses his for.

2020-03-29.jpg