Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tools for my workshop?

I would buy a good cordless track saw first, it can almost replace a table saw, especially in a basement shop. Than I would look for a used table saw, then a compound miter saw, after that I would buy as you figure out what you need. I always scan ebay & CL first, if you're patient the good deals come.

Thanks everyone for all your input! Sorry for the slow response but my internet has been down. My next/first project will be a set of folding Adirondack Chairs (yes the one from Rockler) hence the need for the Band saw for making templates with curves, the table top oscillating drum/belt sander and the router for making pieces from the templates. I'm comparing some Grizzly Band saws against some Jet Band saws. Do I really need 2 HP vs 1 HP? I didn't even know what Resawing was until I started this search. Will I ever even be doing resawing??? The Grizzly's come with a fence and a miter gauge but the Jets don't. The Jet has a 5 year warranty vs. Grizzly's 1 year warranty. Id' like to spend my budget wisely but I don't want my most expensive tool to be the one that I bought cheaply and had to replace (Thanks Jim for that advice!). So much wood, so little time...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lamothe View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your input! Sorry for the slow response but my internet has been down. My next/first project will be a set of folding Adirondack Chairs (yes the one from Rockler) hence the need for the Band saw for making templates with curves, the table top oscillating drum/belt sander and the router for making pieces from the templates. I'm comparing some Grizzly Band saws against some Jet Band saws. Do I really need 2 HP vs 1 HP? I didn't even know what Resawing was until I started this search. Will I ever even be doing resawing??? The Grizzly's come with a fence and a miter gauge but the Jets don't. The Jet has a 5 year warranty vs. Grizzly's 1 year warranty. Id' like to spend my budget wisely but I don't want my most expensive tool to be the one that I bought cheaply and had to replace (Thanks Jim for that advice!). So much wood, so little time...
    That is really helpful. I think a benchtop oscillating sander would be good to start with, I think ridgid has a combo edge and spindle oscillating sander that could work well for you.

As for bandsaws, if you ever foresee yourself purchasing rough lumber that may be thicker, being able to resaw is crucial. The cast iron 14" style typically has 6" of resaw, with an optional riser that gives you up to 12", but these saws aren't really designed for resaw work. With resaw, power is very important to make resawing easier so that you don't get bogged down. If you think you may want to be able to resaw, getting at least 12" of resaw without having to modify the saw would be my personal preference, with at least 2 HP.

If you know that you will only ever use S4S lumber though, then resawing ability is wasted money (though, I would say always buying S4S lumber will be more expensive in the long run).

For the router, if you are planning on doing a good amount of patterning work, I would recommend getting a full size router table with dust collection. I've been eyeing the whiteside compression template bits too, but they are pricey. It would be most convenient to get a table that has a nice lift that is convenient and consistent to operate.

For the bandsaw and the router though, make sure to budget blades and bits, and high quality ones if you can - don't buy the kits unless you know that you will use all of them, buy the bits that you need. I prefer whiteside, but there are a few big names that make high quality bits. Timberwolf offers a variety pack of blades if you want a range of sizes that will fit whichever saw you choose, but if you know exactly how you are going to use the saw, just get multiples of the blades that you will use most often (I got the 5 blade variety pack when I bought my bandsaw, but I only ended up really using 3 of the blades in the year and half since I've had the saw, and I've also bought different blades that I realized I needed or wanted to try)