Thread: Surface sand pics as promised

Surface sand pics as promised

Ok here it is... It isn't pretty but it work like it is. The final coast out of my pocket was $104. 73. That is the coast of the bearings, shaft, pulley, wood for the frame, and sand paper. (out of the discount bin and Klingspor)
    I am going to add one more thing to it yet but I thought you all may like to see it. I am adding a set of out feed rollers that will apply down pressure to the wood as it leaves the drum. other then that and maybe upping the pulley size on the drum to slow it a little I have no complaints.
    The stats on it:
    40 inches to the bed.
    2 hp 3400 110V motor from and old table saw, along with the on and off switch.
    5 inch drum made from 47 3/4 inch circles glued to the 3/4 inch shaft.
    It will take a 29 inch wide by 2 1/4 in thick blank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony Sizemore

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

-Robert Kennedy

O.K. Tony, this solution looks killer cool so far.

But a couple of questions. First, there is no feed belt. How do you control the feed rate through this thing? Second, what kind of wood did you use on the frame?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I'm curious about the no feedbelt also.

Tony, I have been collecting parts to build one of those myself. I would sure like to "pick your brain" a little and see more pictures if you don't mind. I've scoured the internet for any info I could find but there wasn't much out there.

Much appreciated!!
    Take care, Dominick

5. Looks great! I hope to build one myself someday.

The homebuilt drum sanders I've seen don't use a feed belt ... the operator pushes the stock through, taking very light passes. It seems to work great for them. There's a pretty good write up by a prolific shop-built tool maker, Sturdee, on an Australian wood working forum at this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ht=drum+sander

The feed belt is not an option on this model LOL I control the rate, but it doesn't seem at this point to be a problem. I've run a bunch of stock now and I've only found the kick up issue if I take too deep a cut. It takes less pressure then a table saw.
    For the frame I used regular old 2x4's from Home depot. The person I got the idea from used very nice wood, and I understand why. they used Maple for the frame for strength and he said he had it laying around. I got 7 select 2x4's and trued them up nicely.
    I got the idea from here. http://www.rockslide.org/drum%20sander.html
    You can down load the PDF file and its ok to follow. I got lost at one point but it ok.
    Dominick, and anyone else that want to get more info on it drop me a line off list. I would love to help. This is the coolest thing I've made for my shop yet. tsizemore@nc.rr.com
    Tony Sizemore

-Robert Kennedy

surface sander

my bil and i just finished a 30 inch model of this sander..haven't used it much yet, but in practice trials it works great. i used the free download plans from http://www.stockroomsupply.com .. this is where i bought all the parts for my sander instead of trying to find a peice here and another there....my personal photographer is not here at the moment, but i will post pic asap.

Tony. Your not getting any grooves in the material from the sanding head when you have to stop pushing and run to the other side and finish pulling it through?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Tony. Your not getting any grooves in the material from the sanding head when you have to stop pushing and run to the other side and finish pulling it through?
    Steve
    Same idea crossed my mind; but if he has an outfeed table, he could use some push sticks of a slightly lesser thickness that the work stock and not have to change ends in mid stream??

surface sander video

i forgot to mention that there is a demonstration video at the same site.http://www.stockroomsupply.com. this demo shows a sander being used along with a fence and pressure rollers. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL CREEKERS!

If I take to deep of a pass and don't apply consistent pressure I have gotten so low spots but... I have already learned to take off small amounts and us a push stick. I have never used a production surface sander only seen them, but I think for the money (and that in this case is the bottom Line) it works great. I started out making this for resurfacing glued up segmented bowl rings but as I worked threw it in my head I realized it would be very helpful in my shop across the board. I have 49 raised panel doors to do soon and it will take a half a day off my old way of truing up the panels. (Jack Plane)
    Tony Sizemore

-Robert Kennedy

Sounds like your getting it worked out then.