Thread: 90% done

90% done

I’ve been working on this for 6 months. I wanted some of the qualities of a Moravian but wanted a tail vise. I work across the bench most of the time so I wanted the legs splayed both ways on the back. I also made a little different parallel for the leg vise that may be of interest to some. All hard maple weighs in somewhere around 300#.some clean up and decision on some kind of finish. Done some work on it, rock solid punches above it’s weight. It will break done easily, top goes together like table leaves, dowels. I know it will have gaps as moisture changes. Won’t bother me.

Looks great. Be interested to see how things move along with it.

Great job!

James, looks like it will be a functional bench. You did good. BTW, no room in my shop to build an another bench unless I get rid of at least one of 'em.

ken

Very nice bench James. Definitely looks like a keeper from here. Is that shoulder vise on the end we are looking at? Looks like a long "arm" section.
    David

Thanks everyone.

David, Tail vise on near end, leg vise at the far end. Tail vise may look odd because of round dog holes reinforced with steel plates on the end chop.

Looks like a solid bench James, well done.

Looks great! Mine has been about 90% done for a few months now and I keep using it anyway. Maybe once we move to the new house I'll finish it up.

on the leg, is that something you built? it looks like you can slide it in and out and when you step on the pedal, it locks. do you then raise the pedal to unlock or is it via spring?
    it seems like you would want to use a spring and have it unlock with the pedal and then move it while pressed, take foot off for lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    on the leg, is that something you built? it looks like you can slide it in and out and when you step on the pedal, it locks. do you then raise the pedal to unlock or is it via spring?
    it seems like you would want to use a spring and have it unlock with the pedal and then move it while pressed, take foot off for lock.
    Yes, it’s a half nut devise. I decided to make it with all hand tools. That way others could make it if it worked well. It needs a bit of refining, not much. Hack saw files and a drill. 20$ worth of parts. After I put it to use for a while I’ll know more. I thought about springs but wanted it simple. My thought now is to make a hand lever just under the top, one way open one way closed. May have to resort to my machine tools for that.

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    Wow!
    Great job. Please let us know after 100% done.