Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a motor in a table saw

Replacing a motor in a table saw

The motor for my table saw has kicked the bucket and is not repairable. It has served me well over the last several decades. I am now searching for a replacement motor. I think that I may have found a suitable replacement but have concerns that it may not work.

The burnt-out motor is a:

Rockwell Dual Voltage Single Phase
    Frame: 145 Y
    Model #83-621C
    AH 145 TCFR7006AE W CCW
    1 ½ h.p
    110/220

I believe that a Leeson T9AB 217426 (which is a 2 h.p) might be able to replace a Rockwell 83-621C, however before I commit I would like the opinions of fellow woodworkers.

Thank you,

George

Blog Entries
    I would take the motor to a store that sells motors. I bet they can help you, probably with several options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Motor frame sizes

If the replacement motor has the same frame number as what you are replacing (145 Y) I see no reason this won't work. I replaced a motor on my old Craftsman years ago with a bigger motor but same frame number. The frame number means the mounting holes and arbor will be identical which is really what you are looking for.

Be careful if you are expecting to run the new one on 110 volt since I believe most 2 hp will be pushing the limits with this voltage.

Here's a table showing the sizes. I'm guessing your old motor frame is a 145 T as they can be hard to read sometimes.

You didn't give enough information on the new motor to say definitively if it'll match up.

Motor frames.png
    Last edited by Wes Billups; 09-10-2020 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Add motor frame size reference.

It should be easy to tell. "Y" is a "special" mount.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Googling your motor number (83-621C) shows me that it's on a dual voltage Unisaw. Zoro lists a replacement (Lesson 120997.00) for $389.89. For that money, most likely you could have it rewound, assuming the windings are burnt. Based upon my saw, it's most likely a Marathon motor, as they supplied Rockwell / Delta motors in that era. You don't list a location, which would be useful in finding you a motor rebuilding shop. FYI, Rockwell / Delta down rated that series of motors to 1.5 HP on 110, and 2.0 HP on 220. That was so they could put a 15 amp (110 volt) plug on saw. If you have access to machine shops skills, you can make an adapter for a standard motor. Not for the faint of heart, but you can cut existing mounts from case and weld to a standard motor. Grizzly sold saws based upon the Unisaw, so their motor will also fit. Welcome to SMC
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 09-10-2020 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Googling your motor number (83-621C) shows me that it's on a dual voltage Unisaw. Zoro lists a replacement (Lesson 120997.00) for $389.89. For that money, most likely you could have it rewound, assuming the windings are burnt. Based upon my saw, it's most likely a Marathon motor, as they supplied Rockwell / Delta motors in that era. You don't list a location, which would be useful in finding you a motor rebuilding shop. FYI, Rockwell / Delta down rated that series of motors to 1.5 HP on 110, and 2.0 HP on 220. That was so they could put a 15 amp (110 volt) plug on saw. If you have access to machine shops skills, you can make an adapter for a standard motor. Not for the faint of heart, but you can cut existing mounts from case and weld to a standard motor. Grizzly sold saws based upon the Unisaw, so their motor will also fit. Welcome to SMC
    In the industrial world, motor shops won't rewind motors now under 10hp, just not cost effective to do so.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    In the industrial world, motor shops won't rewind motors now under 10hp, just not cost effective to do so.

Thanks.

Brian
    Maybe not yours, but our local shop does. Plus industrial motors are three phase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post

Thanks.

Brian
    This is almost universal now. I'm sure there are still shops that do it, but it's rare.

Motor rewinds just don’t make financial cents.

If this is a Unisaw motor, check for used ones on Craigslist and FB Marketplace. You might be able to locate one close to you through OWWM too. I’ve got a spare one in case either of my motors have issues, but they are 3 phase and pretty much bombproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Motor rewinds just don’t make financial cents.

If this is a Unisaw motor, check for used ones on Craigslist and FB Marketplace. You might be able to locate one close to you through OWWM too. I’ve got a spare one in case either of my motors have issues, but they are 3 phase and pretty much bombproof.

If it were mine, and it isn't. First would be rebuild (Williams Electric Motor Repair in Raleigh,) and second would be to cut mounting brackets from existing case, and weld to another motor. It doesn't have to look pretty, just work. Besides who can see the motor in their Unisaw?

How much do you think a rewind would cost?

Cutting the ears off is a good solution.

Not for van Gogh.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Monday, I will TRY TO REMEMBER to call and ask about price. Cutting the mounting tabs works well if the are mounted back right. Because the old motor is trash, you want to cut case free from mounting tabs, then grind welds off tabs, preserving the contour to fit motor. Note the position of the capacitor case. Before starting cutting, make a block to go between tabs so you can locate them correct distance apart, and perpendicular to motor housing. I wouldn't be bashful about drilling tapping blot for bolts to hold tabs. This motor uses a 7/8" shaft if memory serves m correct.

Blog Entries

Got a over the phone quote today, minimum of $650, so new replacement motor is the way to go