Thread: Removing Non-Poly Spar Varnish

Removing Non-Poly Spar Varnish

Hello all...I have a small maple project (interior art piece) that is about the size of a breadbox that I stained and then finished with a non-poly spar varnish (McCloskeys Man o' War).
    I thinned the varnish (gloss) a bit and wiped it on. Finish came out very smooth and completely dried (no tackiness).
    I then dulled the gloss just a little with some steel wool.
    I now need to refinish it because of some [recent] damage to it.
    How do you remove a non-poly varnish? It was varnished about three years ago.

Thank you.

Stripper would be the choice that offers the least chance of damage. Sanding is the other option.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Stripper would be the choice that offers the least chance of damage. Sanding is the other option.

What stripper (recommendations?) I've read that some are pretty caustic and some of the un-caustic ones aren't too effective.

I'm actually not familiar with what's currently on the market, but yes, the non methyl chloride products are not as fast. But they do work, AFAIK.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Does it have to be stripped? What about lightly sanding and applying a fresh coat or two over the existing finish?

Damage includes the stain (but not the wood per se), so I have to restain at least that part. I'm not sure you can remove only the varnish around the damaged area, sand down to bare wood, stain and then revarnish. Can that be done? Or is it better just to take off all the varnish, sand and restain the damaged area and then revarnish the whole thing?